ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
CIS cartridge/buffer/damper types...
Post CIS cartridge/buffer/damper types... 
The primary types of CIS feed are:

Modified cartridge
This is the original type, where a standard cartridge has been modified to accept an ink feed supply. Typically these systems still contain sponge material and as a result issues with small bubbles can cause ink feed problems to the actual head. Often this issue is resolved by pulling through the ink foam using syringe and some form of adaptor to clear out the bubbles.
This type usually contains a full cartridge of ink at all times and many CIS units now have custom made 'virgin' cartridges, rather than recycled ones.

Modified cartridge (half sponge)
In response to the issue of bubbles a newer design relies on a cartridge with enough sponge to act as a buffer whilst reducing the risk of foaming. This version will generally contain a full cartridge of ink at all times.

Spongeless cartridge
This type contains no sponge and is something that manufacturers have found particularly difficult to achieve whilst still providing a buffer effect. Some printer models are successfully supported by this type.

Spongeless Damper
These are new models designed carefully to act as a buffer whilst still feeding the print head when printing. This type of unit contains very little ink, relying on the ink reservoirs outside the printer to supply it.

In all cases the cartridge/damper unit is designed to provide controlled ink flow to the print head.

This is an update on the sponged kits due to a problem I found with one of my oldest CIS kits.

The unit is for a sponged cartridge CIS that was purchased back in early 2004. I've now learned that a potential aging issue is dried ink build up, which is a generally known issue and one I hadn't heard of; algae.

The only resolution to something like algae build up, would probably be replacement of the cartridges in a sponge type system but I'm checking to see if there's any way to flush other systems and other parts that are common to all, eg: reservoirs, etc...

I'll posts seperately on any solutions I hear of... and of course if anyone else has any suggestions then please post them...

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1