ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Review: NexxTech CISS for Epson Printers
Post Review: NexxTech CISS for Epson Printers 
Supplier: The Source by Circuit City (formerly: Radio Shack in Canada), branded NexxTech, Distributed by Orbyx Electronics.
URL: http://www.thesource.ca
Model(s): CISS for Epson R200, R300, RX500, RX600, RX620
Ink(s): Dyebased (unconfirmed)
Purchased: Dec. 2005

This is my first CIS. I had delved in refilling cartridges in the past with mixed results and wished to get away from this. I possess a fairly high technical background and knowledge in computers and electronics in general (as well as auto repair).

After consultations in this forum and a pointer from Gumby on the availability of this system locally at any The Source store, I decided to give it a go since the el-cheapo carts I was using (Print-Rite) kept clogging the heads (probably use sponges in them as I could not hear the ink inside while shaking the cart, like Epson's)

First Imperssions: For details on this kit from The Source: http://tinyurl.com/8fadl
When I went to pick it up at my local store, they did not even have it displayed and only had it in their back storage room. The clerk didn't even know he had any or existed (I checked their online store inventory and they had two). He was actually amazed that such a kit would be cheaper than buying a set of regular carts! It's a plus that I didn't have to wait for shipping and could check which store had them in stock. In a bind, you can also order them online from The Source's website with free shipping.

As per their picture, the packaging was good and professional with the kit fully visible. There did not appear to be any leakage of ink. The packaging indicates that this kit is for the following Epson printers:
R200, R300, RX500, RX600, RX620
The packaging does not specify that it uses auto-resetting chips but this is now the norm for these kits nowadays but should have said so. There is also no indication anywhere as to the type of ink it uses but I assume that it's dyebase since the yellow ink is clear. Also no indication if it uses spongeless carts but assume they are since the side of the carts are clear and can see the damper system and are also the norm these days. The packaging and a sticker on the tanks indicate that it is made in China.

On opening the package, here is what's included:
- The carts already attached to the tubes to the tanks, pre-charged
- a syringe
- a small syringe needle
- a large syringe needle with sharp end cut off (basically just a hollow tube)
- two small rubber grommets
- 4 extra double sided tape squares
- 6 air filters to attach to tanks
- a spare 90 degree angle hose connector
- installation instructions (English and French)

NB: Although the packaging indicates only the models cited above, there was a small sticker on the tanks with "R210/R310" which may indicate this kit is compatible with those models as well. As per poster Gumby, this kit appears to NOT be compatible with the R220. It seems that this printer will not recognize the auto-resetting chips in this kit.

Installation: First off, I noticed that most of the lines had large amounts of air in them. The black was actually void of any ink. Checking the instructions, there is absolutely nothing on how to charge (or re-charge) the system using the syringe and other included parts. This would have been a real head scratcher for anybody not technically minded or new to CISS and may have ruined their printer if the ink would run out due to air in the lines (and running the heads dry). I did send Orbyx (the distributor) an email to their support address but no reply in two days. After what another poster had said about the lack of support for this product from The Source since this was a relatively new product for them, I decided to go at it alone.

I started by following the installation instructions by installing the air filters on top of each tank after removing each small plug to allow the ink to flow freely. Since there was nothing included in the kit to pinch off the lines to use the vacuum method of charging, I looked at the carts and found some plugs on top. Pulled the black one first and it did have ink. I then used the syringe along with the larger cut-off needle and grommet in that hole and pulled the air and some ink out. After that, I tried to quickly put the original plug back and ink started to come out so it got messy. After cleaning out the syringe, needle and grommet, did the next cart with the same mess. I then looked at the smaller needle. The plugs were made of a very soft (silicone like) rubber and figured I could just poke through the plug itself and it would re-seal itself after the needle was removed. Tried it and it worked like a charm. The first one I accidently pulled the plug with the needle so I just use a small screwdriver to hold the plug while I pull the needle out. Several hours later, no ink has come out of those plugs.

Installation of the carts went relatively well except that I accidently pulled the tube from the black cart while installing one of the others. A little ink came out of the hole but no mess. After installing all the carts, I just poked the plug with the syringe and pulled the air out of it again while installed in the printer.

Tube path and the clips: The installation and routing of the lines was a little trickier. The first clip that holds the lines to the printer with double sided tape was too close to the carts and there were three of them although all the pictures showed two (although this may have been due to the fact this kit is for multiple printer models). I removed this clip and proceeded to place the first clip at about the same place shown in the picture, on the inside of the "indentation" for the CD tray. I had to adjust the placement of the lines by sliding them inside the clip to avoid binding from one end of the print range to the other. The instructions were very poor in this regard. I also had to adjust the second clip that goes on the front of the printer but this was relatively minor. The one plus thing about this system is that the tube placement allows to completely close the lid without any interference.

Here's a scan of the poorly written instructions that came with the kit (but they do show what the kit looks like):
http://tinypic.com/j94tbo.jpg

Actual Usage: After the install and the printer's initial head charge, the nozzle check pattern came up short a few. After a normal cleaning cycle, there was still a cyan nozzle not producing. I decided to just let the printer sit for an hour or so and the pattern came up fine (old trick from my cart refilling days). Since my main use of this printer is for DVD's, I can only comment on those. As far as I can tell with the naked eye, the colours and sharpness are identical to the original Epson inks. The tanks sit next to the printer and actually looks good there. Sorta makes a visual statement, thumbing my nose at Epson for their attempts at extorting more money from me. Twisted Evil

Summary: If it weren't for the fact that the included instructions were very lacking, as well as a possible lack of support, this is an excellent kit. I will follow up if necessary if anything happens in the future but for now, I'm happy. I also did not try their phone support but as stated earlier, they might not know how to support this type product since they are not the manufacturer or distributor and is something new for them. If you read this review and still buy this kit, don't expect any help from The Source, NexxTech or Orbyx (but do use my experiences and methods to assist you). The other good thing about dealing with a large national store chain is that you can bring it back and get a refund if it doesn't work.

Packaging: 5/5
Ready to use: 1/5 (due to air in lines and line clip placement)
Kit look, feel and quality: 4/5
Print Quality (compared to Epson ink): 5/5
Instructions: 1/5
Support: 1/5 (unconfirmed)

Useful information...

Post Follow-up 
Follow-up: Had a minor mishap that could have been much worse. One of the double sided tapes that holds the clip that holds the lines to the printer (the last one before the print cart) fell off but I didn't notice until I tried to print a DVD, the cart went to full left and started that ratcheting noise of the belt skipping the gear. I had to unplug it, move the cart to the right by hand and put the clip back in it's place. It had simply unstuck itself from the inside of the printer. I plugged the printer back in and it did some sort of re-initialization I guess to aligh itself but it worked fine. Two things that could have happened:
1. Belt or printer damage
2. A broken or disconnected line causing ink all over the place.

Luckily, neither happened. From now on, I'll be checking it once a day. I also added the spare clip left over from the installation at the point where the lines just enter the inside of the printer, between the other two clips. That may be where it was supposed to go but the instructions or pictures did not show it. Now I also know why they added spare double sided tape!

Mooseman

Post Re: Follow-up 
Mooseman wrote:
Follow-up: Had a minor mishap that could have been much worse. One of the double sided tapes that holds the clip that holds the lines to the printer (the last one before the print cart) fell off but I didn't notice until I tried to print a DVD, the cart went to full left and started that ratcheting noise of the belt skipping the gear.

This is something I've seen happen with all the kits I've tried so I've created a link to this from the "What can go wrong" thread..

A friend of mine pointed out that the problem usually comes down to not letting the actual sticky pad glue in place long enough for it to form a proper bond. The problem with this is that it isn't really possible to do so without the tubing placing tension on the clip and sticky pad without it failing as yours did.

My personal solution was to do one of two things.

1. Remove the sticky pad with a sharp blade and use a glue gun to secure the clip (works very well indeed)

OR...

2. Use some electricians tape to act as a fail safe to hold the clip in place and take some of the tension/pressure caused by the tube movement. This approach requires you to use a full loop of tape, that folds over the top and at the bottom of the front casing. This gives it the hold required and avoid it simply pinging off in the same way as the original clip on its own.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1