ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Anyone been successful in operating a CISS in their R220
Post Anyone been successful in operating a CISS in their R220 
Congratulations on your move Martin!!!!! I wish you every success for your hard work and expertise. (I did wonder for a bit how come I couldn't post at the old site LOL)

Has anyone been successful in operating a CISS kit in their R220 printer yet?

Please also refer to this thread

http://tinyurl.com/dy4rq

Posted earlier on the previous board.

I am anxious to learn the details of how to accomplish this as the kit I have seems unable to satisfy the Epson electronics. I have now tried two of the same type they both have the same problem of the Cartridges not recognized, while the original Epson carts work just fine.

Thank you for any suggestions you may offer.

Thanks, Gumby.

As an educated guess I'd say that the problem is one of the auto-reset chips being incorrect for that model of printer. Epson have a habit of bringing out new models of printer as much to frustrate the aftermarket (3rd party) cartridge resellers as to improve the print output. In the R220's case it seems that a lot of CIS manufacturers have "assumed" that their system will be fine when it isn't.

But you just want a solution don't you... So... my advice would be to query this site:
http://www.4u-2.com/phpbb2/index.php

.. and get a definitive answer on whether they have the correct chips for your model of printer. I'm currently waiting to test out some D88 chips from there but at less than $2.50 per chip, the cost of a full set @ around $15 is probably worth the try...

All you'd need to do is carefully replace the chips on one of your CIS's and see if they work or not.

HOWEVER.. the key to this is that you make sure the right chip goes on the right cartridge as they are different for each colour and if you get them mixed up it all gets very hard to correct things.

Hope that helps..

Yes, any leads result in more information for a person. A very interesting link.
I spend more time reading about these systems than actually doing anything with it. I would like to get a bit more use out of the original ink before I start hacking at the printer. I left a query with them and will see what comes of it. MIS have replied to me that their chips will work in a R220 but they want $15 US for each chip. That is getting a little pricey by the time postage etc. is added.
I'll keep poking away at it and certainly will share my findings if I get anything.
Thanks for the reply.
Gumby

I spend more time reading about these systems than actually doing anything with it.

Sounds awfully familiar Smile

Quote:
I would like to get a bit more use out of the original ink before I start hacking at the printer. I left a query with them and will see what comes of it. MIS have replied to me that their chips will work in a R220 but they want $15 US for each chip. That is getting a little pricey by the time postage etc. is added.

Yeah, I know what you mean.. It's the only thing I feel is overpriced with MIS and I've been forced to look elsewhere for my own ends too.

I've spotted a response on the SSC forum to one of your queries though and if the reply you got is accurate it's only going to be a case of buying a single chip to replace the black cart auto-reset chip.

Here's hoping.

I received a notice from the other forum today also.

That would certainly be great news if it is accurate. I will experiment a little to see if it works. I sure hope so.

My thanks to you, and the poster on the other board.

Gumby

In searching for my own answer I have come across these two sites that very obviously include the R220.

I hope a provider of the individual chips will soon be found.

If anyone is interested, have a look.

Matrix http://www.matrixink.com/epr2coinksus.html

JWL http://tinyurl.com/apr63

Nose to the grindstone, lol;

Gumby

Matrix looks promising but it's $100US + Shipping (probably around $10) and duties and taxes. Wind up close to $150CAD total. They do provide a phone number (not toll free) and an actual physical address so support might be available although they don't mention it anywhere.

And JWL, It's $103US + $25US shipping + duties and taxes. Since it's based in Hong Kong and Engrish (or Chinglish) abound in their eBay listing, support is probably next to nil. They claim they invented the spongeless cart with others copying them. Takes balls or stupidity to make such a claim and since it's on eBay, I'd take anything they claim with a BIG grain of salt.

For that kind of money, I'd try to make the Nexxtech system work but that's just me. I'd use a set of working chips with a resetter. You will lose a bit of ink on the recharge cycle but you're still saving loads off the OEM or aftermarket carts. Or... find an R200 somewhere and sell the R220 with the new carts from the R200. Saw some in the Jean Coutu pharmacies for $129 right next to R220's for $139. You might be able to find them in local shops that may be liquidating them to make way for the newer models.

Mooseman

I am awaiting answers from a few queries made earlier regarding obtaining individual chips to replace those on the inoperative system.

The post on the other board suggests perhaps only the black chip is different and if that proves to be the case it should be a fairly inexpensive and simple way to get up and running.

I trust your setup is working satisfactorily!

When I finally get mine going I'll post some pics of the modified tube routing I will use. I think it should address the pinching, pulling and slapping issues others have mentioned for this frame model printer.

I don't want to do that until I can prove if it really will work as well as I expect.

Keep smiling;
Gumby

And JWL, It's $103US + $25US shipping + duties and taxes. Since it's based in Hong Kong and Engrish (or Chinglish) abound in their eBay listing, support is probably next to nil. They claim they invented the spongeless cart with others copying them. Takes balls or stupidity to make such a claim and since it's on eBay, I'd take anything they claim with a BIG grain of salt.

For what it's worth... JWL are often quoted as one of the originals on a few forums, and not in a "we think we're great but pretending to be a customer" kind of a way.

For all that though, the need here is for a working set of chips so buying a complete R220 set just to resolve that seems nuts when you already have a CIS that just needs a tiny component replacing. I'd consider contacting JWL to see if they are able to offer any advice, test their knowledge and push your luck on the auto-reset chip side of things. Who knows it may work and if you don't ask you'll never get.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1