ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
USB Server (for USB printer sharing over a LAN)
Post USB Server (for USB printer sharing over a LAN) 
If you're anything like me you'll have wondered why it is that print servers don't actually report back the usual status info like ink levels, or out of paper errors that you would normally get from a printer if it were connected directly... Likewise something like a multifunctional printer (eg: Canon MP750) won't provide it's scanning functionality through a print server either so you can't really share it properly.

The problem has always been that the print server is a one way or at best a limited communication device for anything other than print jobs... Well it seems someone has done their homework and realised that what's required is something a little bit new...

USB Server
http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/

Now, I've never used one of these and I can think of a slew of potential problems that might exist in the wings but if anyone is feeling brave they might want to buy one and try it out.

From what I can tell the system uses a new approach that requires a little driver installation but otherwise sets itself to be recognised as a hub but in reality just hooks up over the ethernet and as a result can be shared.

Be interesting to see how well it works and doubtless I'll test this out myself when money allows but figured I'd share this gem for now... Smile

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1