ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Missing colour ?
Hello Martin, I'm new to this forum but have been browsing all the facts and notes with regards to CISS that I went ahead to install a unit on my Epson C67. My printer is hardly 2 weeks old and it was a gamble to modify and break warranty. However, seeing that the printer was relatively cheap (GBP 30) I decided what the heck! Very Happy The vendor did the installation and wouldn't let me peek! Trade secrets?

Whilst it is relatively true that CISS is supposed to lower your printing cost, this may not be so bad in Malaysia where the original Epson cartridge sells for RM 37 (GBP 5?). Even the compatibles are pretty decent going at half the original prices. All that said, the amount of printing I perform and even with compatibles I'll end up bankrupt before long! I particularly like printing in A4.

The unit I have is the Coral Jet Ink from China and I'm quite impressed with their inks. Prior to installation I made many prints of the DuraBrite inks and afterwhich made the same prints with the CISS. Colour was almost 90% identical to the original. I'm not particular about how long the prints last so that's fine.

My question is; do I need to clean the waste ink pad before resetting using the SSC? My printer is hardly 2 weeks old so was wondering if that's really necessary. Wouldn't want to open up the machine and get stuck afterwards! Please advise.

Thanks
Pauline.

My question is; do I need to clean the waste ink pad before resetting using the SSC? My printer is hardly 2 weeks old so was wondering if that's really necessary. Wouldn't want to open up the machine and get stuck afterwards! Please advise.

Hi Pauline,

The key thing here is that your printer is only 2 weeks old so unless you've got a refurb or you managed to poor a 500ml of ink into the printer you shouldn't need to change the pads for quite some time. The waste counter reset is really only something you need to do periodically but as SSC point out, if you're resetting it because it's tripped out (ie: thinks it's full) then you'd be in trouble if you didn't.

The good news is that your best bet is actually to consider doing a little work to modify your printer using the instructions here:
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=8

... the C8x and C6x aren't all that different (as far as I know) so you shouldn't have too many problems adapting the instructions to fit your machine... Ultimately it's your call but right now I can't think of any reason you should change those pads until you've printed for a considerable time.

Hope that helps.

Martin

Hi Martin, I guessed as much but since everyone is raving about it in the other forums (changing waste ink pad BEFORE resetting the counter) I just wanted to be absolutely sure prior to doing my reset.

On the SSC under Ink Config, I don't see the bars indicating ink being at which level. It's just an empty chart. Why is that?

I love the CIS system and am seriously contemplating getting another photo printer (Epson R350 or R800) and modifying it myself! Is this addiction? Confused

Pauline

Hi Martin, I guessed as much but since everyone is raving about it in the other forums (changing waste ink pad BEFORE resetting the counter) I just wanted to be absolutely sure prior to doing my reset.

Sensible approach Smile

Quote:
On the SSC under Ink Config, I don't see the bars indicating ink being at which level. It's just an empty chart. Why is that?

May be that you haven't selected the correct printer or that you have an issue with the ink freezer, etc... You'd need to consult with SSC themselves on that as I'm no expert and use their software solely to reset the waste ink tank counter.

Quote:
I love the CIS system and am seriously contemplating getting another photo printer (Epson R350 or R800) and modifying it myself! Is this addiction? Confused

Well if it's any consolation I have 9 printers on shelves (all CIS adapated) plus a further 4 dead printers, and 6 more in boxes, all littered around my workspace so you've a way to go yet but I would recommend slowing down if you wish to retain any sanity... It's too late for me.. save yourself Wink

Right now I'll just enjoy my printer for a while longer Wink

Pauline.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2