ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Auto-reset chips
Post Auto-reset chips 
One of the main things that's essential for a CIS in an Epson printer is the inclusion of the relevant reset chips.

Epson put chips on their cartridges ostensibly to ensure that the printer had a way of telling exactly when the cartridge has run out. The jury is out on wether or not this was intended more as a way to stop refilling of cartridges but either way it means that CIS systems need to be able to provide the printer with information that says "I'm not empty" or else it'll stop printing.

Initially CISs's were stuck because the only chips available had to be reset manually.. So for a while, those with refillable cartridges were using the F16 resetter and using bulk inks while CIS manufacturer's tried to figure out a workaround.

Finally auto-reset chips became available and essentially these tell the printer that they have either 100% or a fictional amount of ink in the cartridge and allow it to continue to print.

Where things have differed is that some manufacturers have a slightly different way of handling the ink levels and the way things reset.

100% full
This type of chip resets to a 100% (brand new) level of ink. Normally this would seem ideal but the problem is that this means that the printer will perform an ink charging routine which wastes a significantly greater level of ink than a normal cleaning cycle.

95% (under 100%) full
This type of chip was developed in response to the problem with 100% full chips. This type of chip will only ever reset to a figure less than 100%, thus ensuring that ink is not wasted completing a charging routine. However, it's important that a brand new CIS system is charged with ink properly so a couple of cleaning routines may be necessary to get things flowing properly.

Normal Resetting procedure
Usually this involves turning the printer off and then on again after a brief waiting period. The result is that the chip resets itsef back to its assigned level.

Alternative Reset procedure
Some auto-reset chips will not reset until their ink levels have reached a pre-determined level close to empty (eg: 20%) and then they will reset themselves. This is sometimes misinterpreted by the end user as malfunctioning reset chips so it's worth double checking.

Using with refillable cartridges?
It's worth noting that it would be inadvisable to use auto-reset chips with refillable cartridges (ie: Those refilled by a syringe) as they would potentially cause a cartridge to run dry and pop the ink nozzle heads thus breaking the printer. Refillable cartridges benefit from a system where a manual chip resetter is used, which ensures the cartridges are removed and (hopefully) refilled before being reset, thus avoiding the empty cart problem.

I have learned a few things from doing testing on different CIS and refillable cartridges.

It is important to know when you have a large print job, the auto reset chip will not reset but it will give you an alert message. The Epson software will. When you are at 20% level, the chip will not stop the print job and reset the ink level. It will continue to print until it stops at unacceptable ink level.

To reset the chip. Pause or stop the print job. Press the ink cartridge service button to fake a replacement. Press the button again, there is no need to remove the cartridge for resetting the chip. A printer on/off cycle will trigger the reset also.

I have not see the real 100% full chip or what people called alway full chip.

It is important to use the auto reset chip after installing the OEM cartridge. The printer must go through a power on self test cycle and read the OEM cartridge code into the printer. It does not like auto reset chips if you skip the OEM cartridge installation on a new printer.

I will be happy to contribute on this post based on what I learned from my test lab.

Ronnie

www.efillink.com

www.inkfillshop.com

It is important to know when you have a large print job, the auto reset chip will not reset but it will give you an alert message. The Epson software will. When you are at 20% level, the chip will not stop the print job and reset the ink level. It will continue to print until it stops at unacceptable ink level.

Yep... that's right.. I tend to stick to sending out small print jobs so the printer gets a chance to stop and reset itself.

Quote:
I have not see the real 100% full chip or what people called alway full chip.

There's a reset to 100% chip but yes I don't think there's the equivalent of an ink freezer chip and given that a 100% full results in a priming action by the printer, you wouldn't want that anyway Smile

Quote:
It is important to use the auto reset chip after installing the OEM cartridge. The printer must go through a power on self test cycle and read the OEM cartridge code into the printer. It does not like auto reset chips if you skip the OEM cartridge installation on a new printer.

I've actually not had any problems in this respect when using the C84, C86 or D88 printers but I wasn't really looking for any issue.. The D88 was started on a CIS from the beginning and had no problems.. but that's a limited experience.

what type of chip do the Nexxtech system have?

what type of chip do the Nexxtech system have?

I'd query the guy who did the review on that system..
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3784

He should be able to help give you an answer on that although obviously the chip type may have changed..

Post Update on the auto reset chip 
Just found out that when I bought my R1800, I did not install my OEM cartridge. I went straight to the refillable and did not have a problem with the printer not recognizing the chip. I do remember I had a problem with the R200 when I install the refillable cartridge in a new R200 printer. I had to install the OEM cartridge first.

When the auto reset chip is not allowed to reset at 20% level, you will receive a warning from the PC saying the ink level is low. This will not stop the print job. The printer will continue to print until the chip indicate the cartridge is completely empty. If the print job goes beyond 10%, I observed the reset will not take place unless the cartridge is removed and reinstalled.

If a chip fail to reset, may be this will correct the problem.

Hope this helps those who has a chip that will not reset. SSC is good, but SSC don't work on all printers.

http://www.efillink.com
http://www.inkfillshop.com
my R220 never had OEM carts in it and it worked fine with my CIS unit.

C-ya, Jimbo.

Post Re: Update on the auto reset chip 
easyrefill wrote:
Just found out that when I bought my R1800, I did not install my OEM cartridge. I went straight to the refillable and did not have a problem with the printer not recognizing the chip. I do remember I had a problem with the R200 when I install the refillable cartridge in a new R200 printer. I had to install the OEM cartridge first.

When the auto reset chip is not allowed to reset at 20% level, you will receive a warning from the PC saying the ink level is low. This will not stop the print job. The printer will continue to print until the chip indicate the cartridge is completely empty. If the print job goes beyond 10%, I observed the reset will not take place unless the cartridge is removed and reinstalled.

If a chip fail to reset, may be this will correct the problem.

Hope this helps those who has a chip that will not reset. SSC is good, but SSC don't work on all printers.

Today, my R1800 has flashing red light on MK cartridge. The ink level was low. I finished the print job. Checked the ink level, it was at 10%. To manually rest the chip, I press the cartridge service button...the button used for exchanging cartridges. I did not remove the cartridge, just press the button again, the auto reset chip reset to 90%, without running the initial charge cycle. Great, no ink wasted. Just verified this chip works the way it is supposed to.

http://www.efillink.com
http://www.inkfillshop.com
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1