ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
HP K550 replacement (K5400)
Post HP K550 replacement (K5400) 
For those that don't know the Hewlett Packard K550 is one of a line of printers that already encompasses a CIS system as its actual design and whilst I hadn't mentioned it on here a great deal it's a printer I've been using a lot more both at home and for a couple of client schools.

Well, it seems the usual development cycle has pumped out another version recently and the result is the K5400 which still uses the same HP88 cartridge as the K550 but from what I've read seems to include a number of changes that make it a little better at doing its job.

The key one seems to be the inclusion of a counterweight that helps balance out the printer as the printhead zips back and forth pretty vigorously for any inkjet. On the K550 this movement usually scares any first timers with all the juddering.. Smile

As yet I haven't had a chance to play with one of these, nor confirm/deny that existing HP88 clones/reset-chips work with this model but I intend to do so when some of the old and infirm printers I have clogging up the storage space get ebayed off to a new home Wink

I am in the process of obtaining a K5400 for my office. I would like to incorporate a CIS system. I will use it for general office printing including (mostly black) but also color pie charts and graphs. The volume per month is probably about 1500 - 2000. This might sound like a dumb question but which commercial system would you recommend? I am pretty competant technically/mechanically.

Also, given I'm using an HP printer, which ink suppliers do you recommend assuming it would be a dye based ink?

I realize you're on the other side of the pond, but I would be looking for US based sources.

Thanks,

I am in the process of obtaining a K5400 for my office. I would like to incorporate a CIS system. I will use it for general office printing including (mostly black) but also color pie charts and graphs. The volume per month is probably about 1500 - 2000. This might sound like a dumb question but which commercial system would you recommend? I am pretty competant technically/mechanically.

Also, given I'm using an HP printer, which ink suppliers do you recommend assuming it would be a dye based ink?

I realize you're on the other side of the pond, but I would be looking for US based sources.

Thanks,

First off, I've not had a chance to play with a K5400 so you need to take any suggestions with a pinch of salt..

Beyond that I haven't actually found a commercial system that I "like" mainly because I haven't actually looked at any full kits. The big problem and thing you need to look out for is the autoreset chips... To date I've had a number of problems with the ones I have received as they aren't overly effective and require the printer to be turned off and then back on again at different times.

The other thing is that the reservoirs only hold around 100ml, which while great for C,Y & M, is not a great deal extra for the black...

I've had some mixed results with my home built kits but so until there's some better chips out there I couldn't recommend any of them.

old auto reset chips for the hp k550 wont work on k5400 officejet pro L7580 and L 7380. These late model printers needs new reset chips .. Cool

old auto reset chips for the hp k550 wont work on k5400 officejet pro L7580 and L 7380. These late model printers needs new reset chips .. Cool

Whoops... forgot to update this post.

Yes, new chips are required for this model... There's a number of different ones out there though so it's hard to know which is which.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1