ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Symptom driving me crazy...
Post Symptom driving me crazy... 
I have an HP K550 (Stop it Confused . I've read the posts here Rolling Eyes , and this is the FIRST problem I've had in 2 1/2 years). A year ago I bought a CIS system off eBay. No problems for over a year.

Because I was getting my ink from Staples, I was pretty much at their stocking policies' mercy. The last time I needed a supply, they were out. Rather than wait and see (watching my own stockpile shrink in the face of my needs) I went online for a more 'reliable' source.

That's the possible cause, here's the actual symptom:

I use black the most, printing mostly text. So the Black from my new supplier was the first to go in. Since around that time, the printer will go one full page (single side) and then throw up a 'Replace incompatible or faulty *** ink cartridge' message for all 4 colors. I power off, back on and all is well. (aside from my print queue resetting to the SAME page it just printed, so I cannot progress.)

Did my half-a$$ed change in ink cause this? Or was it a coincidence with a chip problem with the cartridges?

I can replace with HP cartridges and all prints perfectly, so I don't think it's the printer.

ANY help would be appreciated.

There's been an increasing number of reports of the K550 auto-reset chips "expiring" or something similar and this all started being reported around 2 - 3 weeks ago.

I've not had first hand experience of the symptom (yet!) but apparently, installation of newer chips seems to fix the issue.. Some have also suggested setting the clock back a year on the computer with some reported success.

As I said I haven't experienced this myself but the solution seems to be to either
a) source a new CIS
b) source some new auto-reset chips and replace the originals
c) cry... Wink

I'm in the process of sourcing some chips for my own kit design but I'm still at the testing stage so I'm not much help but I have been informed that all auto-reset chips will have an expiry date. That said I was also informed that the chips should be re-settable at the factory so perhaps contacting your original CIS seller may help.

Hope that helps a little anyways.

Oh and as a general rule try to avoid mixing different ink brands as you can create a chemical reaction resulting in a clog if the chemical composition is incompatible (or is that a little too compatible Wink).

Post It helps 
If nothing else, it makes me look at the cartridge component of my CIS. I've ordered new cartridges. If that works, I'm still money ahead.

Would a chip reset device fix that as well? (Stupid question? Forgive me. My background is IT Operations.)

Post Re: It helps 
doktorg wrote:
If nothing else, it makes me look at the cartridge component of my CIS. I've ordered new cartridges. If that works, I'm still money ahead.

I actually found that the cartridges available on ebay are actually pretty crap for working with the K550. Their design is mean't to sidestep the ink detection and pump system in the originals which strikes me as more than a little dumb. Of course I've not been privy to the rational behind this approach and it could be related to patents. Either way if the rubber bulb doesn't exist on your cartridge you lose a very important feature that stops empty cartridges from forcing air into the system and pumps the ink into the printer at the right pressure.

Granted I've only received two of these 3rd party types so I can't say they're all poor quality but I believe you're better using an original cartridge that's been modified instead of one of the 3rd party versions.

Quote:
Would a chip reset device fix that as well? (Stupid question? Forgive me. My background is IT Operations.)

I'm in IT myself so no worries there, it can be something of a ruddy mystery with these things Smile... As far as I know you can't "reset" a auto-reset chip using a resetter because the problem is actually the chips expiry date rather than it's full/empty status (the latter being the resettable component). I've been informed you can get the auto-reset chips updated at the factory but there's no end-user resetter. Not sure if that's a "sales" thing or a technical restriction, either way it's a limitation.

aab1 has been suggesting that the original OEM chips should continue to work without any need to reset or use auto-reset chips so that's something for me to test out soon. I do know that the newer printers will definitely recognise such an approach and warranties will invalidate (allegedly) if you continue to use the cartridge.

Probably more info than you wanted/needed but useful none the less Smile

Post Point taken 
New cartridges solved problem. But after examining them closely, I see your point. When these crap out (1 year??) I'll take your advice and modify OEM carts for use.

Thanks for the input!

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1