ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Choosing a CIS
Post Choosing a CIS 
I've got a Brother MFC-420N, and after all the problems with aftermarket cartridges, I decided to just look for a CIS. I don't print photos, just for in-house light business use. There might be weeks or a month that goes by without printing anything, then I might need to print a 200 page document. I'm not looking for the most expensive, ultra-quality unit available, just something usable. I've narrowed it down to four units:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180259570550

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190233190765

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360066097220

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180253542317

The first one, Printmax, claims to use silicone tubes, and made in the USA

The second one doesn't say much, but I've seen the tank design before.

The third one doesn't say anything different in the description

The fourth one looks like a cheapie from China

Has anyone used any of these units? Any experience, or recommendations?

Thanks!

Post Re: Choosing a CIS 
RChadwick wrote:
I've got a Brother MFC-420N, and after all the problems with aftermarket cartridges, I decided to just look for a CIS.

Yikes... Now you're asking... I honestly don't know anything about Brother printers as they really haven't been something that's come up.

However, looking at the examples you've shown it seems that the cartridges on these are much the same as you get with printers that are separate from their printheads (can you confirm?) and I'd imagine Brother license their tech from HP or Canon anyway so it's probably a hot (bubblejet) process. Really it's a bog standard CIS with pressure balanced reservoirs and ARC's (Auto reset chips).

The questions you probably want to put to the sellers/resellers are:
- How does the autoreset chip work when it comes to reset. What do you have to do to reset it?! (in detail)
- Where do they source the inks and what quality are they? (if they say "bestest quality, can't tell you" move on!)
- What support do they provide (can you get a copy of the installation instructions up front?) pre-sales and post-sales... Put them to the test BEFORE you buy
- How long do the inks last (shelf life).

Other than that, basic eBay logic and I'd seriously think about looking outside of eBay for stores, etc... to see if you can see a more established base for the seller... Oh and point them to this place and ask them to provide a bit more info on the Brother printers (not spam though! Wink) and how the CIS's for that brand work..

Fairly generic stuff and nothing specific to answer your questions but hopefully useful none the less.

Good luck.

I tried replying, but for some reason one of my words was blocked? Hopefully a moderator can release the message?

(Mod Note: Sorted... below)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the print heads are separate from the ink, just like a mini-CIS. The cartridges have no chip, just a float with an optical interrupter, so the printer can tell it's empty. I bought one set of replacement cartridges (I was going to refill, but couldn't find a refill kit, and cartridges were dirt-cheap. With shipping, $7.00 for a set of 4!), and worked great. When I ran out again, I couldn't find the first brand. The second set I had problems with. The Cyan ink went empty in a few days, with little use. The cartridges are a different design than original, and assumed the crappy design let the ink leak out from the printhead.

I'm mainly looking for a CIS so that I don't have to fiddle with good and crappy brand cartridges, all I have to worry about is the ink.

I'm a complete CIS newbie, and have no idea how the ink is kept from leaking, and metered out when needed. I've loved the idea for years, but this is the second time getting my feet wet (First time, a few weeks ago I bought a used CIS for my Primera Bravo II, a CD/DVD printer, uses Lexmark 16/26 cartridges. Haven't had a chance to use it, but the reservoir looks just like ebay choice #2). From what I read, spongeless is the way to go, and all but the cheapie china one mentions that. One mentions "Balance Air Hole Technology", but didn't know if that was something obvious that all have. It looks like all but the China Cheapie show little filters (?) for each color. Unfortunately, it looks like none of the inks used are US made. Frankly, if colors are slightly off, I don't care, just as long as they don't clog, or do something like putting pigmented or generic ink in instead of dye ink.

I guess I'm leaning towards #1 or #2...

Bump this tomorrow and I'll give you a quick rundown on some of the points you raised... Just quickly though, spongeless is NOT the nirvana that many kit sellers have tried to make it out to be. If anything it's usually because of patent issues rather than it being "better".

Not forgotten... just swamped... Will try to respond in the next 48 hours... it's that busy! Embarassed

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the print heads are separate from the ink, just like a mini-CIS. The cartridges have no chip, just a float with an optical interrupter, so the printer can tell it's empty. I bought one set of replacement cartridges (I was going to refill, but couldn't find a refill kit, and cartridges were dirt-cheap. With shipping, $7.00 for a set of 4!), and worked great. When I ran out again, I couldn't find the first brand. The second set I had problems with. The Cyan ink went empty in a few days, with little use. The cartridges are a different design than original, and assumed the crappy design let the ink leak out from the printhead.

Based on what you've said it sounds like the first kit handled the ink flow properly without allowing a syphon to form that drains the ink.. I'd say that's what probably happened with kit #2.

Quote:
From what I read, spongeless is the way to go, and all but the cheapie china one mentions that.

Ok... as I mentioned briefly above the whole spongeless thing is this wonderful myth that started when Epson started applying their patent ownership of a patent which revolves around "sponge in a box". Once that started getting all legal the response was to hit spongeless systems. Along the way the marketing spiel started giving all these wonderful positives like more ink capacity, less cloggation, lower algae growth and more... However, in truth the sponge actually does provide a very important function... ie: flow control and filtering to a certain point.

So, next up they needed a solution to resolve this and it came down to...
Quote:
One mentions "Balance Air Hole Technology", but didn't know if that was something obvious that all have.

Air balance tech basically comes down to a Mariotte Bottle approach or constant pressure... the reservoirs provide the ink at a constant pressure which hopefully stops the ink from free-flowing and at the same time should provide the ink at the correct positive or negative pressure your printer requires.

Quote:
It looks like all but the China Cheapie show little filters (?) for each color. Unfortunately, it looks like none of the inks used are US made. Frankly, if colors are slightly off, I don't care, just as long as they don't clog, or do something like putting pigmented or generic ink in instead of dye ink.

I guess I'm leaning towards #1 or #2...

The air filters are, I think check valves which stop the air or ink flowing back out the vent but I can't be sure.. From what I've seen I'd probably agree with your ideas on 1 & 2.. I'd check ahead for instructions and support and see who provides a better response.

Sorry for the delay...

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1