ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
My path to an R220 Epson CIS unit
Post My path to an R220 Epson CIS unit 
Hello, my name is Jim, and this is my first post here Cool

I've been refilling carts for the last 6 years, but knew very little about the actual workings of the printers I've owned. (3 HPs 2 Canons, and a Lexmark)

I'd run them until they were empty and then refill them; never knowing this is what was killing the actual print heads. I'd usually make it thru an 8-10 refill bulk ink kit before killing the cart and figured this was still money in the bank.

My second Canon printer came from Newegg and was relatively inexpensive. It’s the PIXMA MP170, and both scans and copies. It’s a nice printer, but is just another step towards forcing people to treat them as disposable units. The ink lasted for about 20 pictures and was empty in two days. I ordered a refill kit online and with some work, got it printing again. It was at this point I was given the job within my family (Oldest of 7 kids, ages 21 to 42) to collect organize and make up an album for each family member, as well as DVD playable slideshow disks.

I looked at the printers that could print on CD/DVD disks, and after reading many reviews decided the R220 Epson would suit my uses fine. It was at this point I learned of CIS systems and was intrigued to say the least. I did the typical Google search and read everything I could on the subject. (Including info found here)

In my searches I always got a few links to units being offered on Ebay, as well as forum posts and websites warning me away from Ebay units. Well I’m not much for listening to advice unless it is backed up with solid information, and most of this was “You get what you pay for” type of stuff. My only worry was the “Chip” issue with a low cost setup. I finally made an attempt to contact people who had purchased a unit from an Ebay seller I was considering.

I ended up learning a lot. I knew I would need to use the software utility SSC to keep the carts reading full and that I would need to fill the system myself without any directions. (The included instructions only cover pre-filled setups, which aren’t even offered as an option, go figure…) I figured this wasn’t rocket science and moved forward.

The seller offered a brand new Epson R220 (Minus the OEM ink carts) with the CIS system for $140 dollars ($163.00 to my door) complete with ink, a USB cord, and all the OEM stuff like the print test disk, paper disk, manual, and so on.

I did ask the seller about the damper system, and was told it wasn’t a sponge unit, but rather a two chamber system. This I knew I was taking on faith, but figured sponges had worked in my past refilled carts and since this would never get low enough to dry out, I’d take the chance. I ordered the setup and waited nervously for its arrival.

My unit arrived in about 4 days, and after checking the unit and verifying all the contents, set it aside overnight. The next day I set everything out on my table and looked it over. The unit uses the clear reservoirs that lock together and are crystal clear. They look to be made from the same plastic as the windows on a Revell car model. They are pre plumbed from the bottom with ribbon tubing and already connected to the beige carts.

They were indeed empty, and after wasting 10 minutes scanning the included CD, verified that there were no filling instructions. The carts have 3 holes in the top, one is the hose feed, one doesn’t enter the chamber but is used to lock the set of carts together via a poly type plastic strip that plugs in to each cart and also contains a tubing strap to stop tension from being applied to the fittings on the carts. The third hole has a silicon type plug in it, and is near the back end.

This unit came with white plastic mounts that used double stick tape to route the ribbon tube. I have a lifetime of experience with this tape, and know that if it doesn’t have a name brand backing it up; chances are good it will fail in time. To compound this fact, the areas shown to be used as mounting points aren’t flat, but curved. This will add to the chance for failure.

I should also add that the moment I bought this unit I accepted the fact that minus the warranty I got from the Ebay seller, I was tossing out my Epson support. I figured if the unit works for 100+ milliliters of ink, I’m ahead of the game.

I set the carts and reservoirs on my table (On butcher paper) and started filling the reservoirs with the appropriate inks. Because the carts are sealed units the ink didn’t enter more than a few inches of the tube. At this point I also took a few precautions, because I don’t like working on things that are connected together and can get jerked over by a simple miss-aimed hand movement. I propped heavy glass tumbler style drinking glasses next to the filled reservoir to make it hard to knock over.

Once I was done adding the ink, I pulled the silicon plug on a cart and watched the ink flow into the cart thru the hose. I watched the vent hole as I’ve come to call it, waiting for the ink to appear, and wasn’t disappointed when it came right out the top. I was prepared for this and had the plug held in a pair of forceps. I shoved the plug in the hole with minimal mess and considered my options for the next cart.

I use a pair of magnifying glasses for a hobby of mine, and grabbed a flashlight. This time I watched the vent hole and pinched the tube to control the ink flow. I filled the remaining carts with no mess in a matter of minutes. (This unit does include 6 syringes as “Vacuum pumps” but I had no way of knowing their intended use) I knew the carts were full, or very near full based on how much ink was now gone from the reservoir tanks. I also knew they were all the same because the levels matched across the colors.

At this point I was ready to put the CIS unit into the R220 printer. I looked over my printer and knew the cage that locks over the carts could be removed, based on what I’d read and seen online. I figured this cage had a purpose though, and once I looked the unit over, decided I would leave it in place.

I routed the ribbon tube out between the clamping cage and the cart carriage near the left hinge pin where there is a small gap. This gap is snug enough to clamp the hose but not restrict its flow. Next I mounted the self stick white bridge plate that suspends the hose over the carriage. I tested the hose length by sliding the carriage far left, and then snapped the clamp in place. I mounted the second clamp just outside the lid on the right hand side, and learned just how hokey this style truly is. The lid now rests on the bridge mount and the hose where it runs under it. I saw this as a joke, but knew I could modify it later.

I turned on the unit and listened as it went thru its cycle, priming the print heads. Now was the moment of truth, as I ran a test pattern. The page showed missing spots showing I had nozzles not working. I ran a few cleaning cycles, waited about an hour, and ran another test page. It was perfect.

I fired up the SSC utility and “Froze” the ink capacity amounts, and set out to find an image to test my printer on. A few minutes later I was holding an impressive photo of a family member on cheap Kodak “Any time” paper.

I have been using this unit for over a month now, and have printed over 300 8x10 photos, and around 40 DVDs and CDs. I have had to reset the ink volume via the SSC utility a few times, and my reservoirs are now down to about 20%, and I have yet to have a bad print, or even run a cleaning cycle. I did of course need to address the hose mounting setup, and took care of it the second day. I used the I/O cover from a computer case, (The plate that blocks an unused slot) to make a new hose hanger. Its aluminum, and was simple to bend, sand and drill. I then used 3M brand double sided tape and along with a PC fan screw, mounted my bridge to the plastic inside the printer. Next I notched the lid so as to eliminate pinch on the hose where it runs into the printer unit. I can now run my printer with the cover closed, eliminating dust, and reducing noise.

I haven’t mentioned the name or Ebay seller in this because I’m not sure of the rules here in this area, but I will if asked too.

I’m not going to claim this is a $200 dollar hi end CIS unit, but I will say it has impressed me to no end. I am now going to purchase the needed parts to build my own unit for my Canon PIXMA MP170, which I believe will all fit under the scanner bed lid. I will try and document my adventure better or that project and keep a photo record as well.

I hope its ok to link a few pictures of my unit in here as well?

The mounting brackets that were provided.

The exit.

The reservoirs (A few days after I got it) You can also see where I notched the lid.

My mounting bracket to hold the tubing.

A closer look at the carriage and cart tops.

C-ya, Jimbo.

Seems a bit long winded, sorry Smile

Post Re: My path to an R220 Epson CIS unit 
Just wanted to note that your long story was a very interesting read and the detail was very impressive. What got my most was that you spent a lot of time prepping your units rather than jumping straight in (something I've not always been so good at Wink) and the notes on the actual design is very enlightening..

Jimbo64 wrote:
My unit arrived in about 4 days, and after checking the unit and verifying all the contents, set it aside overnight. The next day I set everything out on my table and looked it over. The unit uses the clear reservoirs that lock together and are crystal clear. They look to be made from the same plastic as the windows on a Revell car model. They are pre plumbed from the bottom with ribbon tubing and already connected to the beige carts.

They were indeed empty, and after wasting 10 minutes scanning the included CD, verified that there were no filling instructions. The carts have 3 holes in the top, one is the hose feed, one doesn’t enter the chamber but is used to lock the set of carts together via a poly type plastic strip that plugs in to each cart and also contains a tubing strap to stop tension from being applied to the fittings on the carts. The third hole has a silicon type plug in it, and is near the back end.

Those design features you've mentioned sound pretty well thought out and certainly help deal with a number of issues I've noted such as cartridge rise (often results in loss of connectivity with chips and poor ink seal at bottom of carts). The tubing strap is a must too as the tube tension causes no end of problems..

Quote:
This unit came with white plastic mounts that used double stick tape to route the ribbon tube. I have a lifetime of experience with this tape, and know that if it doesn’t have a name brand backing it up; chances are good it will fail in time. To compound this fact, the areas shown to be used as mounting points aren’t flat, but curved. This will add to the chance for failure.

Thanks for that tip.. I also learned that this is the time patience pays off... A thoroughly clean surface is a must before attempting adhesion and I believe the standard approach is to use medical proof alcohol or similar to clean the surface and then dry thoroughly with a lint free cloth. Adhesion is much more assured that way.

Quote:
I should also add that the moment I bought this unit I accepted the fact that minus the warranty I got from the Ebay seller, I was tossing out my Epson support. I figured if the unit works for 100+ milliliters of ink, I’m ahead of the game.

Yeah... unfortunately not everyone assumes this but surprisingly I've been able to return Epson printers that were borked by non CIS and ink problems with replacements issued.

Quote:
I set the carts and reservoirs on my table (On butcher paper) and started filling the reservoirs with the appropriate inks. Because the carts are sealed units the ink didn’t enter more than a few inches of the tube. At this point I also took a few precautions, because I don’t like working on things that are connected together and can get jerked over by a simple miss-aimed hand movement. I propped heavy glass tumbler style drinking glasses next to the filled reservoir to make it hard to knock over.

Good plan... I have cats and that adds to the precaution requirements Wink

Quote:
Once I was done adding the ink, I pulled the silicon plug on a cart and watched the ink flow into the cart thru the hose. I watched the vent hole as I’ve come to call it, waiting for the ink to appear, and wasn’t disappointed when it came right out the top. I was prepared for this and had the plug held in a pair of forceps. I shoved the plug in the hole with minimal mess and considered my options for the next cart.

I use a pair of magnifying glasses for a hobby of mine, and grabbed a flashlight. This time I watched the vent hole and pinched the tube to control the ink flow.

Tip: It's just as easy to put a quick bend in the tube and fold it to essentially pinch the tube but with a lot less problems. Personally I use medi-clamps that I sourced when I tested out the Ink Republic kits..

Quote:
I filled the remaining carts with no mess in a matter of minutes. (This unit does include 6 syringes as “Vacuum pumps” but I had no way of knowing their intended use) I knew the carts were full, or very near full based on how much ink was now gone from the reservoir tanks. I also knew they were all the same because the levels matched across the colors.

I can guess having had MIS as my first kit, but the lack of instructions for this is disappointing but if you can spare some time to photograph the full range of kit I might be able to source some for anyone in a similar situation in the future.

Quote:
At this point I was ready to put the CIS unit into the R220 printer. I looked over my printer and knew the cage that locks over the carts could be removed, based on what I’d read and seen online. I figured this cage had a purpose though, and once I looked the unit over, decided I would leave it in place.

Most kits require that you remove this because it won't fit with some kits (the cartridges and fittings exceed the space allowed) but obviously if you can leave it in place and use it as a tube pathway guide as well then that's a plus.

Quote:
I did of course need to address the hose mounting setup, and took care of it the second day. I used the I/O cover from a computer case, (The plate that blocks an unused slot) to make a new hose hanger. Its aluminum, and was simple to bend, sand and drill. I then used 3M brand double sided tape and along with a PC fan screw, mounted my bridge to the plastic inside the printer.

That's an inspired use of spare parts.. My solution has been to go to B&Q (A D.I.Y. store in the UK) and buy some thin aluminium (aluminum for those in the US) which I've cut to size but that idea above works well.. Good idea.

Quote:
Next I notched the lid so as to eliminate pinch on the hose where it runs into the printer unit. I can now run my printer with the cover closed, eliminating dust, and reducing noise.

You've really gone to town on the modification side of things and assured yourself that you'll never get a warranty replacement but like you said you're ahead of the game..

Quote:
I haven’t mentioned the name or Ebay seller in this because I’m not sure of the rules here in this area, but I will if asked too.

You're welcome to mention them here if you want. The one thing I object to is so called "happy customer" posts from the company themselves but your review is patently not of that ilk.

Quote:
I’m not going to claim this is a $200 dollar hi end CIS unit, but I will say it has impressed me to no end. I am now going to purchase the needed parts to build my own unit for my Canon PIXMA MP170, which I believe will all fit under the scanner bed lid. I will try and document my adventure better or that project and keep a photo record as well.

On the Canon side of things, I'd recommend checking my posts on the MP750 as I've had some limited success there. The key thing I learned was to not use the lid as a mount point for any tubing clips as it's difficult to get right and every time you lift the lid you stretch the tube out of alignment, etc...

Instead use something like your IO plate mod to act as a bridge... It's tricky but for what it's worth I'm re-attacking my MP750 in the next week or so to re-apply newly acquired knowledge and get it working properly.. I'll post a "How to.." about it so if you would be willing to do the same for the MP170 that'd be much appreciated.

Quote:
Seems a bit long winded, sorry Smile

Not at all... It's been very informative.. Thanks for sharing.. Very Happy

This unit is on its 6th full refill, and a few top offs to empty ink bottles. I've been using MIS ink, and am really happy with it.

I dont use any added software anymore, because I dont really need it. The carts reset when they read empty, I print almost everything in color, so the heads never plug up.

I have easily run about 10,000 sheets of paper thru this printer in the last 2 years Very Happy

Anyway, just an update Smile

Jimbo-

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1