ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Artisan products
Post Artisan products 
Hi folks,
I've been very happy using a CIS on an Artisan 710 for years. But the waste pad warning still shows up and the reset seemed to be shorter and shorter so I bought an Artisan 837 with the intention of using the CIS with it because it uses the same ink cartridges. It wouldn't let me at first saying "USE THE CARTRIDGES THAT CAME WITH THE UNIT". I was hoping that perhaps I would be able to use the CIS after some use with the OEM cartridges. However, after a couple of attempts, this is still not possible.

My question is: Was that circuit board part on the CIS specific to an Artisan 710 and not designed to use on another model Artisan.

thank you,
Macy

Post Re: Artisan products 
macyvon wrote:
I've been very happy using a CIS on an Artisan 710 for years. But the waste pad warning still shows up and the reset seemed to be shorter and shorter

Ok... first things first.. the Epson America IPR utility that I suspect you've been using has a limiting factor in that it will only reset the waste counter back a few percent, and each time it is used it reverts it back less and less until it basically doesn't work. The solution there is to use the WICReset tool (As the Artisan 710 is not compatible with any other IPR tool).

Quote:
...so I bought an Artisan 837 with the intention of using the CIS with it because it uses the same ink cartridges. It wouldn't let me at first saying "USE THE CARTRIDGES THAT CAME WITH THE UNIT". I was hoping that perhaps I would be able to use the CIS after some use with the OEM cartridges. However, after a couple of attempts, this is still not possible.

I suspect you were trying to use the same CIS system you had in your 710 and as a result hit problems because the firmware in the 837 was rewritten so as to be incompatible with ARC (Auto Reset Chips) that worked with the earlier Artisan versions. Replacing the chips or replacing the CIS system with a brand new one with the latest ARC version should resolve that.

As to the startup cartridges that came with the printer. These are required by the printer and a fair few folks have come unstuck by not installing them and selling them on. Seems to only affect certain models in certain regions but something to watch out for.

Hope that helps.

Martin

Post Artisan Products 
Hello Martin,

Thank you very much for response and suggestions.
Next question: Is there a brand of CIS that you prefer to use?

Macy

Post Re: Artisan Products 
macyvon wrote:
Thank you very much for response and suggestions.
Next question: Is there a brand of CIS that you prefer to use?

Hi Macy,

Not really got a favourite as they are all pretty much the same now with very little real variation. What I recommend looking for is a good supplier with support documentation, reputation and a reasonable price (not dirt cheap). The key to getting a decent CIS working with the Artisan systems is priming the systems properly so your printer doesn't ingest air instead of ink so asking about initial setup and priming instructions should help set the wheat from the chaff.

Hope that helps.

I want to thank you very much for all your information. Each one of my issues have been resolved. Now I have two Artisans with CISS. I'm leaving the 837 at my church office and taking the 710 home. I needed a printer at home anyways.

Thank you again,
Macy

Martin,
I want to thank you very much for all your information. Each one of my issues have been resolved. Now I have two Artisans with CISS. I'm leaving the 837 at my church office and taking the 710 home. I needed a printer at home anyways.

Excellent news and glad I could help...

Smile

Hello Martin, I'm having more trouble with my 710. Tried many things and thought I'd write you before tossing the printer. I'll recap that it's an Artisan 710 with CISS. Many years of great service till the waste pad warnings that you helped me with last January.

But recently, about a month ago, all colors began printing with a "faded" look, as if the volume of ink was being restricted. There was very little banding, if any. Just faded. And it quickly got worse as I tried head cleaning maintenance. Recent nozzle checks show cyan with some broken lines and barely any magenta. No other colors (or black) print in nozzle check. I've tried different printer head deep cleaning products and techniques to no avail.

I'm wondering if it's the vacuum pump I've read about because when I do a head cleaning procedure, no ink appears to come through the hose leading to the exterior waste bottle. I won't throw this printer away til after I hear any ideas from you.

Thank you in advance.
Macy Campbell

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1