ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Research: Canon MP750 & CIS
Post Research: Canon MP750 & CIS 
Just some advance notice of this one...

I've been doing a lot of research trying to find an inkjet that would double up as a photocopier whilst still providing the usual printer functionality. I had hoped that the Epson CX or RX series would provide the goods as they've already been proven to accept a CIS system.

Unfortunately the reviews I've checked for the units are not at all complimentary of the units copying functionality or other aspects such as build quality. The CX6600 in particular seems to be a rather large disappointment.

So my hopes lie with the Canon MP750 (non fax version of MP780) which has rave reviews and includes a number of additional features such as document feed scanning and duplex printing for very little extra cost.

Because I couldn't get any data elsewhere I've opted to buy a refurbished unit, which is now on its way. So, if you're interested I hope to find a way to install a CIS kit and should be posting my findings sometime in the next month.

Ok, the MP750 unit has arrived and despite the fact that I forgot to order regular cartridges so I could test printing under normal circumstances (That's minus one boy scout point for me Embarassed ) the installation of a CISs kit does seem possible.

I've opted for an MIS solution as all others are unknowns to me... That said, I have seen one from InkMizer as well but for now I'm sticking with what I know.

Whilst I'm waiting there's some immediate issue to note.

1. There is going to be no way to install this kit without making some physical changes to the printer unit itself. In this case, I'm going to have no choice but drill a slot into the right side panel so I can thread the tubing through from an external source.

2. Clearance inside the case, between the scanner part of the unit and the printer base, is very limited and there is a switch internally that tells whether the hatch is open or closed. So, if clearance is limited I may have to prop open the hatch slightly whilst making sure the switch registers as closed. That said, it does seem that it should be possible to run the tubing over the top.

3. What the clearance won't allow for is the tubing bracket that's standard for the Pixma i4000 kit I'm buying from MIS. So I'll need to modify that or create my own solution to that issue.

All in all it's going to be a wait until the kit arrives before I can start in earnest but so far it's looking very promising Smile

I've held off for a few months because I've never really been able to solve the problem of a reliable CIS installation on this printer.

There are a slew of issues that needs addressing to make this possible and until now I've simply not had the worktop space or resources to tackle it properly. As a result I have to admit defeat for now but I do intend to take a closer look again when time allows.

It's probably worth noting that the MP750 is now officially past it's sell by date with the advent of new Canon models such as the MP540, MP800 and MP830 all of which use the newer chipped cartridges.

Chances are I'll use the experience from this installation to tackle the newer models in due course but for now it's a case of waiting for them to reach the shelves.

Definitely not a good day for this sort of thing but for those following this little research project there's good news and bad news..

The good news:
.. is that I was able to create a CIS that would have worked perfectly in the MP750. The parts were pretty much home grown and the biggest problem I'd had (ie: resolving the tubing pathway) was solved using a piece of thin aluminium to act as a bridge for the tube clip.

The bad news:
.. is that for whatever reason my printer displayed an error when I turned it on to start installing the CIS and then apparently shut itself down. Since then I've discovered that a brand new printhead has burned up and the unit is refusing to power up. Now, for all you assuming this is the CIS causing this, think again.. I hadn't even installed it..

So, I have the parts but no way of confirming that the unit would have worked as expected.

It's doubtful that I'll be purchasing a replacement MP750 as the market is quickly divesting itself of even the last remaining MP780's out there.. so this DIY article may never be finished off properly. Unless someone is able to source a cheap second hand MP750 or 780 for me to play with this is as far as we go...

The positives to draw from this though as that the lessons learned here will doubtless provide some useful approaches for the newer MP series such as the MP830 or MP530.. we'll see if I can afford one to play with.

Today i started my search for a CIS for my MP780 and came across this thread.

I understand that your MP750 has died, but are you still able to post some instruction on the installation and fitment of the CIS into the MP750/780?

Kind Regards
GLO

Post Here are 2 that i am looking at! Any comments? 
Are there any comments on this system? C.I.S Inksupply
http://ink.supply.hk/images/Ink_Tank%20Feature.jpg

The listing looks very informative and the kit looks pretty good, but without ever having used any CIS kit before i dont know what are the things to look out for.

This one looks like it addresses alot of CIS problems.

ie:
shorter cartridges reducing line bending
spongless cartridge
silicon dampers for canon cartridges(???)
ink tube at fron of cartridge
silicon tubes
internal air system (no more air valves)
ink control knob.

As i said, it looks good to me but im keen for some opinions from experienced CIS users.

The other one i am looking at is from Sinopis which make one for the MP780 as per their photograph.

So i would greatly appreciate any help in deciding which may be better.

Thanks

My own experience ended up with a CIS that I'd built myself using some empty Canon carts and a lot of ingenuity..

I may actually end up with something that works but overall it does sound a little like the low profile carts may help reduce one of the problems.. What's REALLY important however is that you have a bracket that holds the tubing at the correct point and that you avoid any crimping of the tubing at any point.

One additional thing I've learned the hard way with the MP500 and iP4200 units.. the seals between the bottom of the cartridges/buffers and the rubber grommets in the printheads can be rather difficult to maintain due to things like:
- insufficient pressure on on the cartridges to create a seal
- tiny or even larger nicks in the exit port rim that stop a seal being created
.. in a nutshell anything that affects your ability to create that all important seal.

My solution has been to grab some silicon tape like this:
http://www.autronic.com/page_files/silicon_tape.htm

... and some hollow punch tools like this:
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/12pc-hollow-punch-set-1-8in-3-4in-in-wallet

... and use the tools to create a very thin set of grommets to fit over the original rubber ones in the printhead. This seems to have the desired affect and provides a much better seal that's worked incredibly well on an MP500 that had me tearing my hair out.

Granted it's a pain to have to pay out for those tools and bits but trust me in terms of frustration relief it's well worth it Smile

Will the silicon pads supplied with this kit
and

be sufficient? Or are you suggesting to use additional silicon tape?

Also do you have any tips on your MP750 CISS setup?

Thanks Martin,

Will the silicon pads supplied with this kit
(images)

be sufficient? Or are you suggesting to use additional silicon tape?

Well silicon seems to be a lot better at sealing but I guess the approach is a suck it and see type deal. I wasn't aware that someone had created custom replacement seals tbh but that's got to be easier Smile

Quote:
Also do you have any tips on your MP750 CISS setup?

IIRC what proved "interesting" was working out how to get the tubing into the system.. The side panel is flexible enough that you can put a wedge in next to where the tubing goes to stop if from trapping/crimping the tubing but it's always worth double checking for any points that might be getting crimped by looking for dents, along the length of the tubing when it's been in for 24 hours.

Beyond that normal CIS type approach applies.

Definitely not a good day for this sort of thing but for those following this little research project there's good news and bad news..

The good news:
.. is that I was able to create a CIS that would have worked perfectly in the MP750. The parts were pretty much home grown and the biggest problem I'd had (ie: resolving the tubing pathway) was solved using a piece of thin aluminium to act as a bridge for the tube clip.

So, I have the parts but no way of confirming that the unit would have worked as expected.

The kit i have has a blue plastic bridge! Now i just need to determine if its better to fit the tanks on the left or the right of the MP780.

Quote:
IIRC what proved "interesting" was working out how to get the tubing into the system.. The side panel is flexible enough that you can put a wedge in next to where the tubing goes to stop if from trapping/crimping the tubing but it's always worth double checking for any points that might be getting crimped by looking for dents, along the length of the tubing when it's been in for 24 hours.

Beyond that normal CIS type approach applies.

I have seen this on the MP500 where a hole is made in the side of the case, which i am prepared to do. but my kit is pre-filled, so i cant disconnect the tubing.

I guess i can use the wedge set up like you suggest, but i am hoping for a neater solution. Equally, i am happy to shave off 5mm off the top edgeso that there is no crimping on that top edge.

What are your thoughts?

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next