ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
CIS not working on an Epson C64
Post CIS not working on an Epson C64 
The CIS is just not putting any ink on the paper.

I had problems with recognising the cartridges, but after hours of repositioning the cartridges and switching the printer off and on, they now all appear full (although the yellow is still temperament).

The system is an Everest pre-filled one. I have tried numerous charges, cleans and re-seating the cartridges, but still no ink on the paper.

Please help, I need this system working ASAP.

This is the 3rd system I have installed and the second Everest one. The other two where on R200's and gave me very little problems. My first system (non-Everest) had an internal leak in the reservoirs and my black mixed in with the yellow. I replaced the reservoir with just the ink bottles my ink comes in. A simple hole in the lid with the tube pushed through worked well.

Post Re: CIS not working on an Epson C64 
ecotack wrote:
The CIS is just not putting any ink on the paper.

I had problems with recognising the cartridges, but after hours of repositioning the cartridges and switching the printer off and on, they now all appear full (although the yellow is still temperament).

The problem with cartridges not being recognised usually comes down to one of three things.

1. The autoreset chips are the wrong ones
2. The autoreset chips have been put on the wrong cartridge (ie: black chip on cyan, etc..)
3. The chip is not seated properly.

I'd lay odds that your initial problem was related to 3. and the cartridges aren't holding the chip in the right place. Course, they could just be dirty in which case a little cleaning of the chip should help resolve that.

Quote:
The system is an Everest pre-filled one. I have tried numerous charges, cleans and re-seating the cartridges, but still no ink on the paper.

This could be a whole host of things unfortunately, but things to look for:

1. Has the ink leaked into the carriage assembly (black unit the cartridges sit in).. if so, it's possible the print head circuitry has been damaged. Easy way to check.. load in some standard carts, prime the printer and then try printing.. if that works, the head is fine.

2. Is there anything blocking the exit ports on the CIS carts?
Check that the seal has been punched through and is allowing ink to flow.. For that matter is any ink flowing at all?

3. When you run a cleaning cycle is the level of ink in the reservoirs going down?
If it isn't then ink probably isn't flowing.. if it is being pulled through from the reservoirs and yet still doesn't print that it's likely that the circuitry has been damaged.. I've had this happen with a printer I got from ebay, dead printhead but still pulled ink through.. So dead printer.

4. Air lock?
If your catridges are, as you say, pre-charged they could have been done badly or travel could have resulted in an air bubble blocking the exit port(s) or stopping ink from flowing.. A little brisk shaking of the cartridge might shift this but better to try drawing some ink through the system from the exit ports on the cartridges to remove any ink foam and/or air.
NOTE: it's important not to remove all the air from a cartridge though as a CIS still requires a little air in the system to avoid a gravity fed loop of ink flow (ie: ink flowing without being requested/forced). So, don't turn the cartridge over to remove all the air, make sure you pull ink through with the cartridge with the exit port facing down.

Hope that helps a little and report back if you get anymore info to share.

I have tried sucking ink through the bottom of the cartridges, which it does easy enough. I also removed some air bubbles, but not all the air as you said.

Still no joy

The printer still works with the old cartridges.

I'm not sure, but there is a sprung valve on the output from the cartridge, I don't think my printer is opening that valve. it was quite hard to do with the syringe. If it was airlocks and alike, I would expect at least 1 of the 4 to still work.

ecotack wrote:
I have tried sucking ink through the bottom of the cartridges, which it does easy enough. I also removed some air bubbles, but not all the air as you said.

Still no joy

The printer still works with the old cartridges.

Well at least the printer isn't broken which is a plus.

I'm not sure, but there is a sprung valve on the output from the cartridge, I don't think my printer is opening that valve. it was quite hard to do with the syringe. If it was airlocks and alike, I would expect at least 1 of the 4 to still work.[/quote]
Hmm... if I was a betting man at this point I'd say with the chips hitting problems as well your issue is that the cartridges aren't being pushed down far enough..

OR... the stems for accepting ink into the head aren't actually long enough to push the spiggots up and allow ink flow..

It's working now, my fault, I didn't push the cartridges in far enough. It took a heavy handed colleague to figure it out.

On the original cartridges there is a ramp on the catch which feeds the catch in to place, but on the CIS there is just a notch, so I needed to pull bask the catches on the cartridge to get them to push in all the way.

Still, I'll know for next time Embarassed

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1