ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
SOT - Continuous Paper
Post SOT - Continuous Paper 
SOT = Semi Off-Topic

While I am delighted to find this forum because I have an interest in pursuing CIS for my R800. I have an additional topic I seek any info about.

I purchased my R800 specifically for its ability to use continuous roll paper. (I am implying continuous ink and continuous paper are complementary topics…..) This capability permits me to print long genealogical family trees. Within the 8.3" paper width limit I can display up to 7-8 generations (depending on the size of the box - amount of data displayed - for each individual). A generation is represented by a row horizontally across the paper.

My problems stem from my inability to regularly feed and initiate the paper to print from the dispensing roll. I get a lot of "jam" error messages. I am seeking info about the Epson R800 paper feed sensors - location and sensitivity - for starters.

Now, one other important fact, I utilize standard "butcher paper" as my paper source. For the amount of printing I want to accomplish, to purchase the Epson roll paper would be cost prohibitive. This is a hobby, not a business. I get the butcher paper at COSTCO for $15.00/roll.

How I use this paper is via a kluge mash-up dispenser I developed. I have a frame that supports the 24" wide roll with a tube. It is affixed to the rear of my printer cart. On the frame I have attached a spring loaded hinge (provides the pressing tension against the paper roll) with a razor wallpaper knife. (When I sought the hinge, I was surprised to find one with adjustable tension! Engineering BONUS!) As the paper roll dispenses, the knife slices the roll in two, with one side being slightly less than 8.3" based on the pre-positioning of the knife. This continuous sheet side I feed into the Epson R800. The other side just falls on the floor.

When it works, it works great. I've generated charts > 200" in length using this mash-up. My problem is, it works only about 10% of the time. On the other occasions the need to power down the printer and the auto-feed upon re-initiation dumps out a blank page - 23.9" long. Maybe more than one page. I've got to clear the printer, cut a new clean edge, insert the paper, and hope it works properly this time. Productivity sucks. What is strange is that the printer will do all the reset proceedures and hapily feed the paper. I just will not print.

I possibly have an issue with paper thickness, it's pretty thin paper compared to the standard Epson roll stock. However, it does not appear to be significantly thinner than standard 8.5x11 paper used in the hopper feed. I need to take it to the office and mike it. The fact that it does work sometimes leads me to believe it’s more of a paper feed sensor problem.

The other option is perhaps it is a driver issue. The format is a bit wierd - page size IS 8.3" x 23.9" length.

Anybody have any knowledge or suggestions? (I’m posting here vice “Printer Tech” because I think I’ll get better visibility. Wink )

TIA
Rip

I'll be honest I haven't a clue on this one but there's bound to be someone out there with a few ideas..

You might want to try searching around for stevesforums, nifty-stuff.com to see if there's any other tinkerers who might be able to help.

As for manuals... manuals4u.com springs to mind...

I started to reply the other day, but because I didnt really have a solution I backed out.

I used to print 80 inch long pieces of butcher paper in my HP 932C inkjet. But I used a band saw to cut my paper roll to 8.5 inches.

I made my rach from cheap PVC pipe and fittings (Including the paper tensioner that stopped the roll from unrolling)

My use for was custom stained glass patterns for sidelights (The windows next to a front door, on both sides)

I ultimately went to banner paper, because the nonstick side of the butcher paper tended to create a wandering problem on the feed rollers.

If the paper didnt feed perfectly straight, I got paper jams, and the fact that the printer shook when it ran was most of my problem.

I used "Heavy Duty" butcher paper, which was thicker than the standard stuff sold at the grocery store. I got mine from a resturant supply house.

Not sure how any of this can help,

C-ya, Jimbo.

Just a thought here but thinking this through, if the main issue with the feed is the amount of jitter you get from your printhead running back and forth, then it would seem the best approach would be to try and reduce that oscillation as much as possible.. To that end you might want to think about locking the printer down somehow.. possibly self tapping screws or some steel bands over the ends and ratched down into a wooden base or table.

If you can get rid of that jitter then I'd hazzard a guess that you can then concentrate on your roll and feed mechanism

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1