ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Missing colour ?
Post Missing colour ? 
I've just installed a new EVEREST CIS ultrachrome system. I'm new to CIS and have lost a number of 1290's with clogged nozzles using LYSON Photonic ink cartridges, so I really want this to work!

Upon installing, head cleaning & firing up, the test pattern showed NO Black or Magenta. I left the printer overnight in the hope of clearing the problem ( I had previously cleaned with cleaning carts ).

This morning, a first test pattern print showed an almost 100% result ( apart from only one or two broken lines ), but after only a couple of prints, the MAGENTA disappears from the pattern - but the BLACK is working fine. I'm reluctant to run too many cleaning cycles and flood the printer.

I'm guessing this is quite a simple feed problem? I've read that it's not good to leave clear colours too long and I really don't want to loose another printer due to clogged nozzles.

A simple beginners fixit solution is what I'm after please !

Thanks.

Post Missing colours 
Perhaps a couple more cleaning cycles would remove the air trapped in the non functioning nozzles? If they worked a few hours ago then it is unlikely that the problem is due to dried up ink. Have you tried printing the "purge" patterns available as downloads on the MIS website?

If the nozzles really are clogged, then this worked for me on my Epson 890, albeit with dye based inks.

1)Switch off the printer & remove the power plug (just in case!)
2)Push down the little white lever to the lower left of the cartridges
3)Move the cartridges to the left so as to expose the printhead seal (pull the lower driveband carefully to the left).
4)Using paper towel or absorbent tisssues soak up any surlus ink on the felt pad inside the seal (messy!!)
5)Using a syringe, eye dropper or whatever soak the felt pad with water (or cleaner if you prefer) . If you can see free water on top of the felt so much the better.
6)Now move the cartridges back to their original positions over the head seal. Dont power up yet.
7)Leave overnight to allow water/cleaner to do its work.
8)Power up and switch on the printer. As the little white lever is still down (if you manage to return it to its original position, the printer will never know you have been fiddling!), the printer will do a cleaning cycle. Then run a test pattern, or better still the purge pattern, with fingers crossed!.

Whilst you have the head away from its parking position, it is worthwhile gently cleaning the "squeegee" just to the left of the head seal with water/cleaner on a tissue as this gets pretty fouled up with dried ink after a few weeks (again a messy job).

Worth bearing in mind that the other reason for a colour fading out is poor compatability between the ink and the printer head..

Sometimes the mix of base and pigment is incorrect and that can result in the pigment causing a sort of slow buildup clog that disappears with time but then creates banding again after just a few printouts.

In this situation the options are pretty stark..
- try a different ink
- see if purges, etc... eventually do the job.

or.. in this case...

- get a printer that is built with pigment inks in mind..

Thanks for the tips. I've just run numerous cleaning cycles and printed 6 purge sheets. No magenta. I'm getting a little concerned now about no ink in the magenta head and it drying out / clogging. I really can't beleive that it's already clogged so soon after a perfect nozzle check pattern.

Is there any way of forcing the air ( I presume an air trap ) through the cartridge ? Any other ideas ? All the other colours are looking great.. Crying or Very sad

Post Quick update.. 
Update ..

Having now run many cleaning cycles, ink levels are getting lower and I've now noticed that in the ( still quite full ! ) magenta chamber, there is ink in the 'inner chamber' that leads to the air filters. There is none in any of the other colours..

Is this a clue? Remedy ?

Thanks.

Post Missing colour 
From what you say it sounds as though there is a blockage in the feed line to the magenta cartridge. The only way to resolve it is to methodically go through all the places where this might occur.

My own experience with the Everest CISS is that the tubing has been maltreated at some time, resulting in kinks and distortion. Check at the side of the ink tanks that the roller used to hold a vacuun in the cartridges when they are filled has been fully released (i.e. it is not pressing on the tubing). In my system the tubing was distorted at this point, but still had a path through - you may not be so lucky.

You could (very gently) pressurise the magenta channel using a small syringe, but don't do it with the cartridge in the parked position or else you are likely to contaminate the other colours. Switch off the printer and move the print head (see my previous reply) to the centre over some absorbent paper/kitchen towel. If your Everest system is like mine, each reservoir has a plastic plug which seals the main filler hole, and a smaller vent into which a small air filter is fitted. If the air filter is removed, a standard syringe should make an airtight seal, but dont force it too hard as the taper on the syringe may split the plastic around the vent . Dont be tempted to suck, as you will likely end up with ink in your syringe.

If this does not produce a flow of magenta ink, then you will probably have to disconnect the feed tube from the cartridge (this can be messy), but make sure that the level of ink in the reservoir is lower than the point you are disconnecting, otherwise ink may continue to flow out of the tube. If it doesnt flow out or draw in air (depending on the reservoir ink level) then you almost certainly have a blocked feed tube. This proceedure almost certainly requires the cartridges be removed from the printer, but if they have sealing valves, very little ink should be lost. If you have some 2mm rivets, these can be used to seal the cartridge exit ports for extra security.

Post Result.. 
Thanks for all the useful suggestions. Yesterday I managed to free up the magenta... I initially took up the suggestion of using a syringe on the air filter tract by gently squeezing. This itself didn't solve the problem but merely made MORE ink run up that 'inner' reservoir. So now this reservoir was completely full and spilling out of the top, so I decided to use the syring to suck this out instead - and hey presto.. after a glug, the ink made it's way back into the main reservoir and freed up the air way to the filter, and now a perfect nozzle pattern!

Shame I didn't do this sooner as I must have pumped half the the ink from the other cartridges into the printer with so many cleaning cycles..

So now time to test the Everest Ultrachrome inks themselves, and the system too. Initial feelings are that the 'support' from the website is non existant, although to be fair, there is plenty of useful information on there to give enough guidance. However, some kind of response from reasonable requests would be appreciated.

On a practical side, I'm having some problems with the ( rather feeble ) plastic ink ribbon support 'arm' which is clearly inadequate. Any ingenious ideas ? I'm considering hanging the slack from the ceiling! Also, the ribbon gets a bit jammed when the mechanism goes right to the park position to the right. Works ok during printing sweeps, just a problem when the cartridges reach the full right position..

Early days of course Smile

Post Missing color. 
Glad you managed to free up your magenta - bet you began to think all was lost!!. As far as the tubing support is concerned, I agree that the one from Everest is rubbish. I soon gave up on mina and bought one from MIS for my Epson 890. Needless to say this is good and sturdy and worked well.

Post Re: Missing color. 
Peter_G wrote:
Glad you managed to free up your magenta - bet you began to think all was lost!!. As far as the tubing support is concerned, I agree that the one from Everest is rubbish. I soon gave up on mina and bought one from MIS for my Epson 890. Needless to say this is good and sturdy and worked well.

Is that one of these ? http://www.inksupply.com/accessory.cfm?action=find The third image on the right..

MIS-2200BB

BRIDGE BRACKET FOR 2200 CFS

$10.00

To be honest you can build a bridge bracket yourself if you take a little time to realise it's not rocket science..

The key thing to keep in mind is that the placement and stability of the bracket is key so it needs to be solid... I personally have started using thin three quarter inch wide strips of aluminium bought from a DIY store (B&Q in this instance - for peeps in the UK). It means you need a hacksaw to cut it and a vise to bend it whichever way you want, but it works well and can be glued in place using a hot melt glue gun or you can drill it, and use self tapping screws to screw it into place.

When in doubt though, stick with something from a CIS company with a clue.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next