ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reset chips for HP L7000 / K5400 printers
Post Reset chips for HP L7000 / K5400 printers 
Thought I'd record this one for anyone else using a L7000 series (L7580, L7680, L7780) MFD's or the K5400 printers..

I sourced some reset chips (not automatic ones) for two L7680 and L7780 MFD units. These are supposed to be mildly different from the older K550 compatible chips and today I found out why.

As per usual my black cartridge was the first to complain it was out of ink and a simple "OK" press was enough to get it to let me continue on the understanding that warranty was void, etc... This message happened every time I turned the printer off and then on again.

Then, today there was a twist when I got a message to say that the C, M and Y cartridges had some kind of error and I need to check with support. So, instead of wasting time on the phone I tried powering the unit off and then on again. Weirdly enough it resulted in the unit resetting ALL of the cartridges (including the black) and now it recognises them all as full and functional.

Bit strange but thought I'd pass that one on... Obviously your mileage may vary as there's bound to be other types of chip out there.

I just got an L7780 and ordered a CIS system on ebay that says it's for the L7780, do you think it will work?

By the way I had both an officejet 9110 (10/11 cartridges) and K550 (88 cartridges) and built a CIS system on both of them, none of them ever complained about anything and that was with the CIS system built on original HP cartridges and chips.

Did HP really put an anti refill system in the K5400/L7000 printers? They were always refill friendly, why would they suddenly change, or did they?

Thanks

I just got an L7780 and ordered a CIS system on ebay that says it's for the L7780, do you think it will work?

No idea... I don't see why not but you won't know until you try...

Quote:
By the way I had both an officejet 9110 (10/11 cartridges) and K550 (88 cartridges) and built a CIS system on both of them, none of them ever complained about anything and that was with the CIS system built on original HP cartridges and chips.

Same here... just had a few printheads let go which was frustrating but most likely related to environmental issues.

Quote:
Did HP really put an anti refill system in the K5400/L7000 printers? They were always refill friendly, why would they suddenly change, or did they?

No... what I've seen is a warranty exclusion notice if it detects that your cartridges are not standard. It doesn't stop you from continuing to use the printer, just tells you you're on your own if you continue.

But it's against the law for HP to void your warranty because you used 3rd party supplies, so how could they do that?

But it's against the law for HP to void your warranty because you used 3rd party supplies, so how could they do that?

Canon have done it quite successfully and I'm not 100% sure that you're right on the legalities as they vary from country to country. Could be wrong on some counts but it's definitely the warning I get.

Having had various promises from different suppliers, almost all selling or reselling Chinese based chips I've been able to get a bit more info on the chips and their limitations.

1. It seems that no-matter what you hear the chips will not auto-reset without a power off/on cycle or removal of the cartridge and then reinsertion
2. The firmware on K550 printers is less sensitive to auto-reset chips (ARC's) compared to the newer L7000 and K5400 series of printer. You can buy chips that will work with the K550 but not the newer models whilst chips designed for the newer models are backward compatible.

I have a source that I'm not purchasing chips from but as yet I'm not sure if they wish to sell in small quantities so I'll check first before I divulge further.

Martin, i'm a newby. any luck on me purchasing a set of reset chips for the K550? mine seem to have gone kablooey. Thanks!

Martin, i think i'm speaking with you on your other board as well (WS)
anywhoo, any idea how an end user can buy a chip resetter if such a beast exists? i do have one (somehwere) for an epson printer of mine; i'd love to reset the chips in my now defunct CIS - that said, a whole system is roughly $60 so we're not talking about a major investment, though among other things i have probably close to 100 ml of each color in the old cis, between the resevoir and the cartridges...plus, ink really makes a mess so extracing it may not be worth it in cleaning bills...thanks for any info or suggestions.
my failed chips show an expiration of 8/13/2010 and the new working chips show 10/8/2011
the kits appear identical though the new one has S shaped tanks and no colored blue on the bottom of the tanks, versus the old rectangular tanks, and the tanks seem a bit thinner but taller. also, the tubing appears a bit thinner but that can just be my imagination - scrap that, the tubing appears identical. sure has a lot of air in it, but then, so did the old stuff - i won't try to bleed the air out as the system seems to do a splendid job without my meddling...

Martin, i think i'm speaking with you on your other board as well (WS)

Probably Smile

Quote:
anywhoo, any idea how an end user can buy a chip resetter if such a beast exists? i do have one (somehwere) for an epson printer of mine; i'd love to reset the chips in my now defunct CIS - that said, a whole system is roughly $60 so we're not talking about a major investment

I did ask because I'm looking at purchasing around 100+ sets for my school clients and the thought of having to send chips back to be reset is an unwelcome one. However they've made it clear that a resetter doesn't exist so you're better off purchasing new chips and being done with it.. Besides, as you say, it's a false economy anyway and whose to say that the chips won't change in a year or 6 months making your resetter useless regardless.

Quote:
though among other things i have probably close to 100 ml of each color in the old cis, between the resevoir and the cartridges...plus, ink really makes a mess so extracing it may not be worth it in cleaning bills...thanks for any info or suggestions.
my failed chips show an expiration of 8/13/2010 and the new working chips show 10/8/2011

Speaking from experience, you want to keep a constant ink supplier so forget about mixing any from different suppliers.. There lies the path the gunk and clogging if you're not careful.

Quote:
the kits appear identical though the new one has S shaped tanks and no colored blue on the bottom of the tanks, versus the old rectangular tanks, and the tanks seem a bit thinner but taller. also, the tubing appears a bit thinner but that can just be my imagination - scrap that, the tubing appears identical. sure has a lot of air in it, but then, so did the old stuff - i won't try to bleed the air out as the system seems to do a splendid job without my meddling...

There's a lot of "clone" kits out there so I'm not overly surprised... As for the air.. I've learned the hard way that air is NOT good for the printhead if it gets into them (see other L7680 thread) but so long as ink is going into the printhead itself and not air you should be fine. Just be wary and make sure you keep your ink topped up is all.

Just to note I've completed my testing and worked out how these chips reset (not the way I was informed by the manufacturer I might add!) so I'm placing an order ASAP.

I'll let you know when they arrive in and are available for sale...

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next