ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
HP K550 - ARC chips? and compare to K5400
I know as a fact that the K550 does not need auto reset chips, original HP cartridges/chips will work fine.

However, I have yet to see a single K550 last more than a few hours, so don't invest too much in it, it probably won't last (I had 4 of them fail with the same problem, all user reviews mention the same problem, it is a defective product).

I now have the L7780 all in one version of the K550 and have done over 22,000 prints problem free.

I know as a fact that the K550 does not need auto reset chips, original HP cartridges/chips will work fine.

Useful to know...

Quote:
However, I have yet to see a single K550 last more than a few hours, so don't invest too much in it, it probably won't last (I had 4 of them fail with the same problem, all user reviews mention the same problem, it is a defective product).

In fairness my K550dtn is working perfectly here and I have another in school. I have noted paper feed issues in the K550 over time though but once you get a new printhead (not provided with the printer) in the K550 and you get a CIS that uses the proper pumping mechanism they work great. Prefer the K5400 though Smile but then, that's natural as they are the next generation Wink

Quote:
I now have the L7780 all in one version of the K550 and have done over 22,000 prints problem free.

Actually the L7000 series have the K5400 print engine, not the older K550 one... Just a small technical correction for the pedants out there like me Wink

Going back to chips though... I've found at least one source of chips that I'm going to be getting some samples from shortly. Interestingly they did indicate that chips do have an expiry of around 18 months but that they can be reset IF you send them back to the manufacturer. Not exactly worth it if you buy your chips for a few bucks.

What was the improvements between the K550 and K5400/L7000? They are almost identical. The only difference I saw was the addition of a counterweight for the print carriage.

Thanks

What was the improvements between the K550 and K5400/L7000? They are almost identical. The only difference I saw was the addition of a counterweight for the print carriage.

We're getting off topic again so this I'm going to break this into a separate topic in a minute..

But to answer the question... The K5400 has a few little changes I like:
- paper trays no longer closed up or removeable which reduces some of the paper feed issues caused by bad tray alignment
- ends of paper trays gone so you no longer snap the blasted bits off.
- the printserver on the DN / DTN versions is much improved!!
- the counterweight as you said, helps with vibration
- cleaning cycles are "nicer" and sound less like something wrenching the arm off a robot (as per the K550)
- the KY printhead that comes with the unit is no longer fubar unlike the K550 which had a duff one that failed very quickly!

No real changes as far as speed go and I've had my share of misfeeds using envelopes but all in all it's had some fundamental changes that were very welcome.

Well I haven't had a chance to try this with a K550 but I did have a Business Inkjet 2230 which has been sat idle in one of my schools for a while so I opted to see if this would accept cartridges that were empty or not.

Turns out it won't... There's some talk of there being a workaround using drivers, etc... but I haven't found anything for the 2230 or the K550 so I have my doubts this will work.

Could you explain how you got yours working aab1?

Are you referring to the original HP cartridges/chips I was using in my old Officejet 9110? I didn't do anything special, all HP printers I know of let you refill the original cartridges with no problems or mods required, I just never tried with the L7780 I have now.

Are you referring to the original HP cartridges/chips I was using in my old Officejet 9110? I didn't do anything special, all HP printers I know of let you refill the original cartridges with no problems or mods required, I just never tried with the L7780 I have now.

Sorry, I know the cartridges can be refilled in the HP10/11 and HP88 types (as well as others). I was meaning have you managed to refill and still use the cartridges with the original OEM chips (without resetting them) and not auto-reset ones?

Thats what I meant, of all HP printers I've refilled/installed a CIS, all of them worked fine with the original HP cartridges and chips, MUCH better than my L7780 is working with the auto chips, that's why I think it will work much better if I put original HP chips inside instead.

HPs do not need auto reset chips, at least none of the ones I ever used, but I haven't tested the L7780 without auto reset chips, but don't see why HP would have added an anti refill system when none of their other printers have any anti refill measures at all, in fact HPs are the most refill friendly printers there are: They have the refill hole for any user to access, and have no chips to prevent refilling (the chips are not used for that, they are used to monitor ink levels and expiration dates, not to prevent refilling).

Thats what I meant, of all HP printers I've refilled/installed a CIS, all of them worked fine with the original HP cartridges and chips, MUCH better than my L7780 is working with the auto chips, that's why I think it will work much better if I put original HP chips inside instead.

Hmm... odd.

Quote:
HPs do not need auto reset chips, at least none of the ones I ever used, but I haven't tested the L7780 without auto reset chips, but don't see why HP would have added an anti refill system when none of their other printers have any anti refill measures at all, in fact HPs are the most refill friendly printers there are: They have the refill hole for any user to access, and have no chips to prevent refilling (the chips are not used for that, they are used to monitor ink levels and expiration dates, not to prevent refilling).

So, am I right in thinking that I would need a chip that hadn't already declared itself empty then? If I'm right that might be why I'm hitting problems.

Cheers.. Smile

martin, any luck on sourcing those reset chips? i still have a CISS that's pouting and i'd like to use it - many thanks!

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next