ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Pixma IP4500
Post Pixma IP4500 
I'm new to the forum so hi to all. I own 10 IP4500s as part of a CD/DVD replication facility and have each of them set up with a CIS. I'm guessing eventually I will have to address the waste tank situation but have no idea where to drill the hole or where the tube to extend is. Can anyone help with this..much appreciated.

Cheers

Kojak

Post Re: Pixma IP4500 
kojak wrote:
I'm new to the forum so hi to all. I own 10 IP4500s as part of a CD/DVD replication facility and have each of them set up with a CIS. I'm guessing eventually I will have to address the waste tank situation but have no idea where to drill the hole or where the tube to extend is. Can anyone help with this..much appreciated.

The good news on all of this is that the Canon printers don't use nearly as much ink as Epson printers when it comes to the waste ink cycles so they don't require any waste ink pad replacement for a lot longer. Probably somewhere in the region of about 2 to 3 times less.

Unfortunately when it comes to the process involved in fitting a waste ink tank on one of these things it's a lot more involved..

I did fit a tank on an iP4000 and I'm guessing that the process hasn't changed a great deal so here's just a quick run down of what I had to do with my kit.
  • remove the top/outer casing
  • remove the screws holding the printer internals to the plastic base (which contains the waste ink pads)
  • identify the waste ink pump, usually located front right of the printer workings
  • locate the tube(s) running from the pump to the waste pads
  • redirect the tubes...

For the iP4000 the way to resolve the last part was to drill a hole in the front where extensions to the tubes could leave.. I used some elbow tube fittings to connect the original waste tubes with some tubing I have and then redirected that out of the hole I'd drilled. In the iP4000 there were two tubes as well so I used a dual tube to handle the extension.

Unfortunately I didn't have a digital camera to hand to take any pictures when I did it so I haven't got any to share.. Add to that the printer has since been disposed of so I don't have access anymore.

My advice with this printer is to get one of your oldest printers and use it to figure out the process and create a "test" unit... I can provide most of the bits you'll need so check octoink.co.uk to see what's available.. In the main you'll need some 2mmID tubing, barbed elbow fittings and a lot of patience.. unfortunately I could use some of the latter myself, you'll have to find your own there Wink

Hope that helps..

Many thanks for that Martin I'll start disassembling today. Is there some software required to reset the waste ink counter?

Kojak

Many thanks for that Martin I'll start disassembling today. Is there some software required to reset the waste ink counter?

I'm not at all sure what the crack is with the iP4500 but I suspect you can use the resume button hold and release system that has worked with countless other Canon printers in the past.

The trick is knowing exactly what pattern you need to use and that's going to require a service manual from somewhere. I have the iP4200 version but nothing newer so you'll need to do some digging to see if anyone else has the iP4500 one.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1