ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Morning all - looking for advice regarding "jetstream&q
Post Morning all - looking for advice regarding "jetstream&q 
Hi - I'm new to the forum but am looking at upgrading from my R800 to an A3 printer with CIS. Ideally I would like to use the CIS to get good quality photo printing with decent inks but at a lower per-print cost than original Epson inks.

I have my eye on an R1800 that is being offered with a "Jetstream" CIS system. I can't find any reference to them online. Does that mean it's a cheapo Chinese rig? If so it probably wouldn't do for my purposes.

I have found a lot of very helpful info on this forum. Thanks to all those who post such valuable info!

All the best,

Martin.

Post Re: Morning all - looking for advice regarding "jetstre 
lampshuk wrote:
I have my eye on an R1800 that is being offered with a "Jetstream" CIS system. I can't find any reference to them online. Does that mean it's a cheapo Chinese rig? If so it probably wouldn't do for my purposes.

I had a bit of looking around and found the Jetstream on Alibaba which is the Chinese trade site so yes it's a Chinese origin type deal. Doesn't necessarily mean it's cheap an cheerful but all the same the signs are pointing that way.

Quote:
I have found a lot of very helpful info on this forum. Thanks to all those who post such valuable info!

Smile

To give you a bit more help on possible kits to consider it'd be useful to know where you are in the world.. Rihac are a good option in the South Asia & Australian area. A few others in Europe too though...

Post Thanks! 
UK-based - I've just updated my profile. Sorry to have omitted that.

I've been scratching about a bit and am surprised at the number of CIS systems around. Are you familiar with Ink Expert in the UK? Any particular CIS+Printer you'd recommend for photos? I've been happy with my Epson R800 and may just get a CIS to go with that as a learning experience. I guess it's dye-based which may explain why I have had no problems with nozzle blocking, even though it is frequently ignored for long periods.

If I were to go for something brand new I think it would be the R1900 but Epson seem to make a point of running lots of models in parallel - so the 1400, the 1900 and the 2880 are all touted as "the newest A3 innovation from Epson".

And of course, I'm looking for a good deal, so also considering 2nd hand 2400s etc.

Too much choice!

Post Re: Thanks! 
lampshuk wrote:
UK-based - I've just updated my profile. Sorry to have omitted that.

No worries.. tends to help is all.

Quote:
I've been scratching about a bit and am surprised at the number of CIS systems around.

The trick is finding the ones that aren't fly by nights just reselling without experience of knowledge to provide the support CIS's require.

Quote:
Are you familiar with Ink Expert in the UK?

In fairness I don't really know any of the UK based CIS resellers.. Usually they just resell kits from China so I can't really offer a direct experience. Ironic I know but I tend to build and buy my own bits into whatever I need.

Quote:
Any particular CIS+Printer you'd recommend for photos? I've been happy with my Epson R800 and may just get a CIS to go with that as a learning experience. I guess it's dye-based which may explain why I have had no problems with nozzle blocking, even though it is frequently ignored for long periods.

Hmm... odd, the R800 is I think actually mean't to be a pigment based printer so you either got very lucky with the environment or you have a printer with a very tired maintenance fairy Wink I wouldn't ditch it though based on what you've said.

Quote:
If I were to go for something brand new I think it would be the R1900 but Epson seem to make a point of running lots of models in parallel - so the 1400, the 1900 and the 2880 are all touted as "the newest A3 innovation from Epson".

The problem with "new" is that it also comes with the poisoned tip in the tail that Epson have incorporated in their latest "chip" complete with all the "you ain't refilling our cartridges or using 3rd party" protection. Of course, officially it's there to "protect you"... *cough* *splutter*

Quote:
And of course, I'm looking for a good deal, so also considering 2nd hand 2400s etc.

If you can source a good unit that hasn't been abused then I think that'd be the route I'd take... Certainly the 2400's have a pretty avid fan following and the only other thing is that you could fit a waste ink tank easy enough (moi? sales? Mais non! Wink) and all the reset stuff is out there too. So it's a winner in a lot of ways..

Quote:
Too much choice!

Well, I'll be honest I'm not a great fan of the "When you have a hammer, everything's a nail" approach that is prevelant in CIS kits today, (ie: the balanced pressure reservoir system). With Epsons you can afford to use kits with dip tubes and the like so if you like I could see what my ink supplier and printer guru can provide with an idea of costs.

Post Thanks, Martin. 
More food for thought.

I take the point about the chip protection. It hadn't occured to me that the reason for the delay in CIS for the 1900 was the reverse-engineering of the protection mechanism.

Up to now I've been OK with cheap "clone" cartridges, but some of the photos I'm trying to print are coming out with very strange colour fringing, so I think I need to either go back to "proper" Epson ink (x3 on the price) or get a good CIS setup.

Now I'm havering between the 2400 with its excellent 3-K setup vs the gloss-optimizer in the 1800 (glossy prints on my 800 look really good).

Now you mention it, I've checked and the R800 is indeed pigment-based. I have had the occasional temporary nozzle-blkckage but nothing that's required swabbing with alcohol. There - how's that for tempting fate?

I guess common sense would say to go with the 2400 so that I've always got the 800 to compare against.

I gather you specialize in CIS's for Canon. Do you also work on Epsons?

Decisions......

Post Re: Thanks, Martin. 
lampshuk wrote:
More food for thought.

I take the point about the chip protection. It hadn't occured to me that the reason for the delay in CIS for the 1900 was the reverse-engineering of the protection mechanism.

Aye... New is always "bad" for someone working with alternative ink supplies.

Quote:
Up to now I've been OK with cheap "clone" cartridges, but some of the photos I'm trying to print are coming out with very strange colour fringing, so I think I need to either go back to "proper" Epson ink (x3 on the price) or get a good CIS setup.

You've probably had a few inks that were dyebase as that tends to be the basis for cheap clone carts... Pigment ink, even in bulk is actually quite expensive, especially in Epsons!

Quote:
Now I'm havering between the 2400 with its excellent 3-K setup vs the gloss-optimizer in the 1800 (glossy prints on my 800 look really good).

Well the R1800's do appear on ebay quite regularly and there's going to be folks who want to upgrade to the latest new toy Smile

Quote:
Now you mention it, I've checked and the R800 is indeed pigment-based. I have had the occasional temporary nozzle-blkckage but nothing that's required swabbing with alcohol. There - how's that for tempting fate?

I'd avoid using alcohol if you can as it tends to dry out the head, not hydrate it. Drying out helps cement the ink in the head even more so using a solution that breaks the ink down and allows it out in solution is much better. I have a litre of the necessary stuff from my ink supplier and it works wonders Smile The key ingredient though is patience.

Quote:
I gather you specialize in CIS's for Canon. Do you also work on Epsons?

I don't myself but my ink supplier does.. I'll drop him a line and see if I can get some prices or better yet get him on here to reply direct. In the meantime I'd look around at possible others and do some research on support. You may find something else yourself Smile

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1