ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Research :: Canon MP500 CIS
Post Research :: Canon MP500 CIS 
This is more a marker for the future but given the death of my MP750 recently I decided to wait for an opportunity and obtain one of the newer MP units such as the MP500, 530 or 830.. Given the expense though I opted finally for a couple of "used" MP500 units that should be here later in the week.

So, given that I've gone for 2 of these units I expect to be able to create at least one working CIS without blowing everything up Wink

Watch this space...

Right... The MP500 has arrived and I've taken a quick look at it to see if the whole process is possible.

My immediate impression is that Canon have deliberately made it harder for someone to install a CIS without having to cut some of the plastic bodywork over the printer mechanism.. Other than that though it looks like I should be able to put something together over the next week or so..

Have to say though, it does look a heck of a lot nicer than the MP750 (lighter for one thing) and from what I can see this looks like it's just an iP4200 with a scanner top end attached so I'd call it a low end MP750 replacement (without the scanner document feeder) while the MP530 would seem to be the MP750 replacement..

Interesting times ahead..

Bloody hell this was a test of my patience and skills...

Installing a CIS in this machine is on a par with the MP750.. and frankly how the heck any CIS manufacturer can actually suggest that a CIS kit can be made for this or any other Canon MP unit is a little beyond me..

The good news is that I managed to make it work... The bad news is that to do it I had to modify the printer significantly to get there.

The key problems with the unit are:

• The printer itself has been designed in a way that requires modification (ie: cutting/breaking/drilling) of certain parts of the case
  • The amount of space between the carriage unit and the print case itself is minimal (silicon lubricant is an absolute must!)
  • You have a limited working space in which to manipulate cartridges, tubing, etc... or make the modifications required
  • You need patience in bucket loads!
  • The cartridge units have a tendancy to ride up and thus break the seal with the ink port (thus air got in, instead of ink) so a little wedge of corrigated cardboard or dense foam is needed between the cart ends and the printhead retainer bar, to push the carts down properly so they seal.
  • The annoying plastic protrusions (that is if you leave any) that hang down into the printer unit gap tend to push any tubing or assembly down further and this can cause them to jam into the carriage as it moves (cue: horrible screeching noise). So it's a good idea to have a couple of small wedges to lift hold the unit up a little.
  • Any cutting, breaking, etc.. of plastic will likely leave bits, dust, etc.. from the process so you need to be careful to police it all up... I small vaccum attachment at this juncture is a {deity}send and it wouldn't hurt to try and cover the open printer area as much as possible to limit dust getting into the unit.

All in all, it's a cast iron git of a job but I really couldn't have managed any of it had I not gone at the MP750 first..

I've been taking pictures of most of the process (not all I'm afraid - ink, plastic, dirt, cats, etc.. everywhere made it difficult) so I'll post those up along with points of "interest" to watch out for.

Bottom line though, this is something for someone who is very technically minded and who doesn't mind killed off any chance of a warranty return or resale.

http://www.continuousink.info/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=261

... I've realised that I haven't covered how I build the cartridges so I'll try to remember to do that and get the other half to stand by with the camera to take some pictures.. It's a little tricky otherwise as the glue sets pretty darned fast.

Anyway I'll do a write up of the process sometime in the next few days.. in the mean time, feel free to take a peek..

Post MP500 CFS 
I have done a CFS for a customer for MP500. Exact same setup as for iP4200. No need to drill case or modify interior. Simply put a small stopper at the front of the scanner lid to prop it open to allow the tubes to come into the inside of the case with no cutting or drilling. Also, having the lid open allows the tubes to feed to the cartridges without getting fouled by the ridge on the bottom of the lid which fits into the space for the printheads when it is closed. The lid can be propped open at least 20mm without disengaging the microswitch which activates the movement of the printheads- that leaves plenty of room to feed the CFS in and the operation of the printer is not compromised any way at all.

Post Re: MP500 CFS 
laikanuki wrote:
I have done a CFS for a customer for MP500. Exact same setup as for iP4200. No need to drill case or modify interior. Simply put a small stopper at the front of the scanner lid to prop it open to allow the tubes to come into the inside of the case with no cutting or drilling. Also, having the lid open allows the tubes to feed to the cartridges without getting fouled by the ridge on the bottom of the lid which fits into the space for the printheads when it is closed. The lid can be propped open at least 20mm without disengaging the microswitch which activates the movement of the printheads- that leaves plenty of room to feed the CFS in and the operation of the printer is not compromised any way at all.

Well I suppose it can be done that way but then I've always tried to get everything to be as close to closed as I can get it.

Sounds like I need to be a little less "pure" in my thinking with some of this stuff Wink

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1