ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
SSC Utility Instructions / Operation
Post SSC Utility Instructions / Operation 
I was wondering if there are any alternative English translations of (or re-written instructions for) the SSC Utility (I'm using Version 4.20)? I'm having trouble getting my head round some aspects of it's operation, and the instructions that are to be found in the 'Help' of the software itself (translated from Russian pressumably?) can be kinda difficult to understand sometimes!

I'm using an Epson CX3600, which stopped working when the "parts need servicing" auto-disable feature kicked in. Altho' I successfully got it working again for a while by overiding the Epson software with the SSC, it's now disabled again. This is because (according to the Epson software) an ink cartridge has run out - altho' according to the SSC Utility, there's still plenty left in the cartridge. I checked the 'Disable Epson Service Utility' option in the config box at the outset, but the Epson Utility still seems to be partially active.

Having read all possibly relevant 'Help' instructions, I'm still unclear on the difference between / appropriate use of : 'Reset', 'Refresh' (on the Ink Monitor tab), and the manual / auto 'Freeze' functions; and which one I should use to resolve the above problem. Or is it a case of having to (as I have read of elsewhere) uninstalling the Epson software, then reinstalling without the 'Epson Service Utility'?

When I first reset the Ink Counter with the SSC, I searched the folder containing all the Epson software on my Computer, but couldn't find the 'Epson Service Utility' bit. As there didn't seem to be any apparent conflict between the softwares (as I had read could be a prob) I didn't go to the trouble of going thru the whole Uninstall / Re-Install process at the time.

Any advice much appreciated.... Cheers

To be honest while I have a great deal of respect for the work that the SSCLG did with the SSC util the functionality they built in for things like ink freeze, etc... has not translated well into newer printers and I suspect they've stopped work on future versions as the forums are now empty of any further comment and have been for over a year now (as far as I can tell anyway).

In terms of you particular problem I think you've confused the "ink freeze" function with the waste ink tank...

The waste ink counter is handled by the "Protection Counter" functions and nothing else... Everything else looks at chip levels and in some cases have been known to bork chips, etc... so I tend to recommend avoiding.

I'd suggest re-enabling the Epson Status monitor in SSC and then stop it from loading on startup.. Use the protection counter functions to clear the two counters and disable any "ink freeze" options you may have set (I suspect they may not work properly) and then leave close SSC and leave it off until required again.

If you want to disable the Epson counter you can usually do that via the Printer preferences and either a tick box there or via the Maintenance > "Speed & Progress" button... Epson like to hide it all over.

Hopefully that makes a bit of sense... but if you're still having problems with the waste ink counter you can always grab the adjustment util from here:
http://www.servicemanuals.ru/download/epson/adj/cx3500-4600/cx3500-3600-3650-4500-4600.zip
(Make sure you scan it before use - there is at least one infected file on the same site!)

Hope that helps.

Martin

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1