ContinuousInk.info Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroups|Join Groups
Knowledge BaseLinksDownloads Gallery 2CalendarLog in
Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1
Petroleum jelly may have fixed problem!
Post Petroleum jelly may have fixed problem! 
Hi all,

I have been struggling with my CIS for over 6 months now. Not happy, let me tell ya. I tried all the things recommended by the manufacturer and from the fora. I have had months to think this over and I came to the conclusion that my bad nozzle checks were not due to a clog; it surely was a flow problem. The clue was the fact that when I would reseat a cartridge by lifting it up and reinserting it into the printer, that may fix some of the current problem nozzle check to an extent, but the pattern of bad nozzles would just change to a slightly different configuration. So I decided the real problem was how the cartridge connected to the printer; it wasn't a secure connection. I applied petroleum jelly to all cartridge ink holes which connected to the printer to make for a more airtight connection.. Lo and behold, I soon got a perfect nozzle check with a cleaning cycle and a purge TIF print and have not had a problem since (only 2 days).

Could I have found a solution?

thanks,

near Chicago IL USA

Epson R1800 printer, InkJetFly BigFoot CIS.

Interesting that you found that solution worked... Personally I'd never recommend that approach as the risk of the jelly polluting the process and causing a clog or nozzle burn out would normally be quite high.

I'm assuming this is an R1800 you're working with here so if you're really having this many problems and the true cause is a poor air seal then I'd have to question the design and quality of the kit you were using. Epson printers are a LOT easier to use with a CIS thanks to the ink receptacle and opportunity for a long, easy seal around it in the cartridge. If the seal isn't tight enough or just a thin grommet then someone has dropped the ball in a big way...

If you ever take any pictures of the system I'd be interested in a close up of the cartridge ink out nozzle to see what they have (or haven't) done.

Yes, the jelly could cause a severe problem of clogging or altering the chemistry of the inks. But I was not able to print, I was getting ready to abandon CIS altogether, I didn't spend much money on the printer, so I thought it was worth a shot. Figured, either it works or I am still in the same boat of not printing. Time will tell.

Yes, I too question the design quality of this CIS. Their instructions and caveats tend to indicate that many? users may experience some form of this problem.

Yes, it is a refurbished Epson R-1800 and an InkJetFly BigFoot CIS. I will try to get some pics posted next time I have to refill ink. I hesitate to pull a cartridge to do a picture when it is working.

near Chicago IL USA

Epson R1800 printer, InkJetFly BigFoot CIS.
Yes, the jelly could cause a severe problem of clogging or altering the chemistry of the inks. But I was not able to print, I was getting ready to abandon CIS altogether, I didn't spend much money on the printer, so I thought it was worth a shot. Figured, either it works or I am still in the same boat of not printing. Time will tell.

Heh heh... I believe I have been there once or twice myself.. Totally understand.

Quote:
Yes, I too question the design quality of this CIS. Their instructions and caveats tend to indicate that many? users may experience some form of this problem.

Well, I know that CIS kits can be hinky but usually any problems regarding seals are found in Canon printers, rarely Epsons...

Quote:
Yes, it is a refurbished Epson R-1800 and an InkJetFly BigFoot CIS. I will try to get some pics posted next time I have to refill ink. I hesitate to pull a cartridge to do a picture when it is working.

Oh heck no... Don't worry for now, I'm like you... if it ain't broke, touch not!!

Good luck.

Reply to topic   printer-friendly view Page 1 of 1